IMAC 2017 possible dates??? Might as well get started. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 09-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7
Re: IMAC 2017 possible dates??? Might as well get started.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplant00 View Post
Maybe a basic only day as well. Went to one a few years ago in Keswick and it was great. Bill cameup to my field last summer for a informal day and feedback was it was great.
Hi Todd - Rick and I started a conversation today and we will invest some time in a Basic only day if Hanover will host. More to come.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
itizme
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
Futaba MZ, Futaba SZ

Total Props: 14

Maybe next year I will pay more attention to what's going on, but none the less you need flowers full of pollen to make bee pollen.
You need club interest groups enjoying the event at their club. I wish I knew how to clone that but some how there must be someone that has the recipe for success.
Maybe promote differently like " Hey, we have a set of rather skilled pilots willing to perform and teach new prospective pilots. Would you be interested in a weekend event held at your club?" And yes USE THE FACT that these events are for selection of world's contestants.

I don't know Bill, too many bah humbug types get in the way and nobody put doing the hard sell.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Capcanuck
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lee P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Steve all it takes is a few good people to get the fire burning. Last time we got the right people on board and with some terrific sponsorship and some hard work from a few people, we hosted an awesome team for the world's and really showed that we are a force to be reckoned with.
Capcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #14
steven r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Steven Ruxton
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpilotca View Post
Steve - just to clarify, in 2014 we sent what would be considered as almost two full teams. It is yet to be decided what the Team size will be for 2018. Something we need to come to grips with. I personally agree that a smaller well qualified Team is preferential. But that is a decision for Adam and the Scale Aerobatics committee, and the Team Captains to grapple with.

Regardless, World's or not we need more central Ontario events. We have a number of prospective pilots who want to give this a try but are not going to travel to northern or eastern Ontario (or the US) to get IMAC experience. We are really missing Stoney Creek, Hamilton-Cayuga, Chatham etc.

It would be great to have an SA Nats again, but something smaller would also be very welcome.
Ouch. That was the whole purpose originally for our one day contest and we are right in the middle of that group.
steven r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r View Post
Ouch. That was the whole purpose originally for our one day contest and we are right in the middle of that group.
Steve - and we are grateful that Woodstock stepped up and got the one day contest going. But we really need more. Once your contest is held in June there is nothing left in south central Ontario for the rest of the summer. And if folks cannot make your contest then they are kind of SOL for that year.

Thankfully NOIC and the Stetson contest are still going strong, but many new pilots are reluctant to drive 5-8 hours and spend $500 for a weekend to try out IMAC.

Our numbers have shrunk in Ontario. Two years ago we had 42 paid up members and we were the 4th largest "State" after Florida, Arizona and California. Now we have shrunk to 31 IMAC members and slipped behind North Carolina. We need to find a way to get a couple of more contests going or rejuvenate the good contests we once had in the Golden Horseshoe.
NCFR Judging Instructor
Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
steven r
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Just giving you the gears Bill!

I have a contest 5 minutes from my house but would love to see a couple more in southern Ontario. This year there were 3-4 contests in the US that were much closer than the rest of the Canadian contests for me. Most of us put on a pile of miles chasing our little addiction but for someone just getting in the travel is pretty rough. Next year when a lot of pilots will be trying to get as much time in front of the judges as possible it would be awesome if there were more in Southern Ontario.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r View Post
Just giving you the gears Bill!
OK good, sure did not want to hurt your feelings !! We are glad to have Woodstock and you guys have really stepped up.

For sure we need to have venues for World Team candidates to practice and we need contests for new blood to give it a try.
NCFR Judging Instructor
Old 09-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #18
steven r
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

No Worries! We had the Worlds discussion at my house last week and I got the green light to hit more contests if needed. Would be nice if they were closer for sure.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #19
bigguy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpilotca View Post
Steve - and we are grateful that Woodstock stepped up and got the one day contest going. But we really need more. Once your contest is held in June there is nothing left in south central Ontario for the rest of the summer. And if folks cannot make your contest then they are kind of SOL for that year.

Thankfully NOIC and the Stetson contest are still going strong, but many new pilots are reluctant to drive 5-8 hours and spend $500 for a weekend to try out IMAC.

Our numbers have shrunk in Ontario. Two years ago we had 42 paid up members and we were the 4th largest "State" after Florida, Arizona and California. Now we have shrunk to 31 IMAC members and slipped behind North Carolina. We need to find a way to get a couple of more contests going or rejuvenate the good contests we once had in the Golden Horseshoe.

I didn't want to weigh in on this cause its a little bit of a soar spot. Not sure if we will ever get the airport back. They have added 6 hangars on most of the green space there. Seems like some in MACC have access and others don't. I will leave it there . Hint we need a new ZD desperately. There I said it! I can approach our smaller club field and see what they say but parking and having two flight lines will be an issue. Not to mention that there was a little bit of CD burnout in the past. Would be great if there were some more local contests with some new CD's .

This very topic is over on the giants and is over 23 pages long. We need fields to fly at or IMAC will continue to decline. My two cents is we lost some very good IMAC guys here in Ontario for various reasons.The one that stands out the most is the lack of fields to practice at or even hold a contest at. As we lost fields we lost pilots.

I think the 400 club would be a great option. Not sue if those guys are following this thread. Let me know if I can help

P.S. I brought up this subject at the worlds with our last MAAC president. I didn't get very far.

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
This very topic is over on the giants and is over 23 pages long. We need fields to fly at or IMAC will continue to decline. My two cents is we lost some very good IMAC guys here in Ontario for various reasons.The one that stands out the most is the lack of fields to practice at or even hold a contest at. As we lost fields we lost pilots.
Hi Ralph - I know where you are coming from. And you are right on, as we have lost fields and clubs we have lost pilots for sure.

FYI - I flew three contests this summer - Saranac, Jackson and SSM. All three only had one flight line because pilot attendance was 14-15 and there just was not enough judging capacity to fly two lines. Biggest surprise was Jackson because Mike used to get 25 pilots and 6-8 Canadians.

CD burnout is also a big factor. Lack of local club support makes it hard to do it all yourself.
NCFR Judging Instructor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.