FCC IC and Insurance - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 45
FCC IC (ISED) and Insurance

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was thinking of a reply to this thread as it is partly related but really a topic of its own.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=297529

Recently was prompted to take a look at MAAC Documents and noticed a big change in the Policy with MAP 2 spelling out requirement of all transmitting equipment to be IC Ceritfied. Previous documents said IC or FCC was good in MAAC's eyes.

Now we all know they are technically illegal but nobody will come hunting you down, there would have to be a complaint/interference issue for IC to give a hoot.

Reason this is related to linked post above is the reciprocal agreement with US simply states they must use frequencies approved in Canada.

Questions:

1. Can US visitors with FCC only radios their gear?

2. Do US visitors additionally have to comply with MAP 2 (and by default Industry Canada)?

3. How rotted am I that to have valid MAAC Insurance for next season I will have to switch the whole stable over to something overpriced or underfeatured even though what I have now has been approved by a sanctioning standard that is so exactly the same that it will even be accepted by submitting the other country's test documents.

4. How do retailers advertise and sell FCC only equipment?

Last edited by davidmc36; 01-14-2017 at 10:07 AM.
davidmc36 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Skybolt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B.

Total Props: 0
Re: FCC IC and Insurance

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/R-2.pdf

Go to section 4 of this document.

Last edited by Skybolt; 09-21-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Skybolt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
Skybolt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/R-2.pdf

Go to section 4 of this document.
Skybolt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

And your point is?
Old 09-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Big M
RCC Noob

I am: Mike Mostow
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Mike here from Kenora, not sure this is the right spot to ask the question but it appears you guys are into rules, I have been looking to purchase a FJ 3 drone of RCC to do period checks on beaver dams ($150,000.00 damage from a burst dam this summer)and bridge inspection for the City of Kenora. When I put it forward to our Engineering department they agreed it would be great. But our guy that looks after the GIS mapping and related stuff Google Searched Drone Licencing requirements..............not good. Appears private Drones are pretty well unregulated, but being the City we need to have licences from Transport Canada, these words made the engineers put there heads in the ground and say nooooo, has anybody out there gone this route, is it cumbersome, do you need to file flight plans before every flight. Guess I could read through all of the rules, (puts me to sleep) guess I'm looking for the Coles Notes Version of the requirements.
Big M is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

If I may chime in... maybe contact Mark Betuzzi , MAAC Spectrum chairman as he has been dealing with IC and the acceptance of FCC ( with an approval number on the transmitters and telemetry receivers) into Canada but so far IC hasn't come on line with an agreement in principle .

This last year I came across an article in one of the US forums on radio control and they showed exactly how the FCC documents their approvals. Every circuit board and component is photographed in high definition so no cheating by manufacturer or aftermarket users making changes can invalidate the FCC number. In other words if a hard wired component is changed on an RF circuit board ; not permitted.

My understanding is; the MAAC spectrum committee has been trying to get ( in our applications ) IC to approve the use of FCC approved equipment for use in Canada.

At one time it was legal to buy or own non IC equipment but not to use it but looks like that has changed.

Would be very interesting to read the comments of retailers as to their concept of
selling non IC approved radio equipment. Apparently non telemetry or non transmitting receivers don't have to have FCC or IC approval numbers.

Last edited by stegl; 01-14-2017 at 06:05 PM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
...to get ( in our applications ) IC to approve the use of FCC approved equipment for use in Canada...
The way I read the documents on IC is that they have provision for accepting testing data that has already been done (no need to start testing all over again) providing it has been done at an appropriate facility. I can't see any FCC approved items falling short on that account.

I'm guessing that would require an application on the manufacturers part including associated fees.

It can't be that hard to pull off. Even aftermarket commercial aircraft parts don't need specific approval for use in Canada. If they are made/repaired/overhauled to acceptable standards, they are acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Would be very interesting to read the comments of retailers as to their concept of
selling non IC approved radio equipment.
Wouldn't it now........

For now I'm going to have to take a wait and see approach. I don't plan on any flying until the equipment status changes, IC changes its rules, or I ditch it all and start over again.

Any bets on which happens first? Hint: it's the one that will cost me the most.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2

Insurance coverage is not affected. It is simply MAAC stating the facts. There are no examples of unapproved equipment being any less reliable than approved. I assure you, if there was, MAAC would implement a change to protect the members.

That said, if there was a serious accident, it may come down to unapproved equipment which could complicate protection for the individual at fault.

Last edited by Hughes500E; 09-23-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500E View Post
Insurance coverage is not affected.......it may come down to unapproved equipment which could complicate protection..
I'm not sure which side of the fence you are on.

If MAAC states clearly they are on the side of IC and you don't follow the "Community based set of rules" then............
Old 09-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2

There's no doubt it is in our best interest to use proper approved equipment.
There is however too many MAAC members using all kinds of equipment
to make the FCC/IC certification mandatory thus the MAP. You have to
consider the risk. Would I use an Orange RX in a turbine jet, no. In a foamy on my own property, I would consider it yes. The hobby is very diverse these days, lots of variables.
I applaud you for wanting to do the right thing. I just don't want everyone thinking they must not use other brands etc. It may work for them in the environment they are in.
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.