This is the future of RC?? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #31
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Think we would find that the farther you take a product down the line to completion the more money you make..........ex.......there is much more profit in galvanized steel sheet than in rebar.
If you produce the whole model including hammering the material suppliers,through to the finishing ,boxing have more hours in than just cutting wood for a kit and you can lower your price to the distributor who is probably making the most out of the deal when he retails it to you and I,and hopefully the engine and the rest of the stuff we need to get the model in the air...........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #32
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath
Think we would find that the farther you take a product down the line to completion the more money you make..........ex.......there is much more profit in galvanized steel sheet than in rebar.
But if you carry this theory over to Rc kits vs ARFs, the galvanaized steel would cost less then the raw steel re-bar!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #33
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason H

I fly both kits and ARF's. I will say that if not for ARF's, I probably would have never got into the hobby. I take a lot of self satisfaction in building my own plane, but time and money are a factor. I think they build ARF's pretty good now, so it isn't really a "quality" issue anymore. I check and often reglue ARF joints anyway. I think that more people are moving towards ARF's, so, in business sense, so are the companies.
Jason Holdaway

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #34
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I own almost nothing but ARFs because
A) I'm inherantly lazy
B) Have become overly exposed to the "McDonald's Syndrome" (Step up to the counter, get instant gratification)
C) Lack the time to spend on assembling a kit.
D) Don't have the perseverance to see the job through when I am such a slow builder to begin with.

I have purchased two kits, one had the wing 3/4 built already, the other almost has the wings framed nearly a year. If I had to rely only on kits, I would probably rarely fly.

On the flip side (go figure!) I will spend an inordinate amount of time rebuilding a crunched ARf just to prove I can, and because I am too darned cheap to trash it properly!

I think it is all business, what product moves the most and given our society's disposible attitude towards everthing from pets and marriages to packaging and toys that is what is going to come to the for. Whatever gives a quick fix will be the most chosen route, and only a select group of modelers will be known as craftsmen.

All that being said, did it make any sense?

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #35
RCC Expert Contributor

MY 2 CENTS worth!!!

I own ARF’s and they have come a LONG way from when they first started coming out.

I’m into SCALE too….

ARF’s are GREAT for getting a NEW person into the hobby.

Example: So guy shows up at the field at your CLUB’s season opener…. He gets HOOKED!!! NOW is he going to have time to build a plane and get into the hobby that year… more then likely NO…. he gets a ARF trainer and he is off and running.

IF your into SCALE… the biggest thing WRONG with ARF’s is there the TYPE of planes available…. You go to a BIG event and there maybe 3 or 4 of the same plane all looking the same…. YEA you can change the marks a little but in the end it’s like CUB’s a nice plane but just to many of them.

NOW (since we are picking on RANDY grin) in SC they use tons of ARF’s because there are only 3 maybe 4 types of planes (other then SIZE) that SC guys fly….

Myself I like DIFFERENT planes…something not warren out…. Like a P-51 which turns out the be the Cub of the War Birds….
Palmer Johnson
Jabba is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #36
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Morning All

The latest ARFs are so complete that I am more than willing to buy them.

Nothing turns me off more then having to find I have to spend copious amount of time to locate all the non-included stuff. Some kits that I have purchased in the past were nothing more than a set of plans and bulk balsa. I have scratched built in the past because I had no choice.

don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #37
RCC Contributor

Hi all,

I'm a total newb, but I'm progressing in the opposite direction from most. I started with an ARF, and got hooked. My first kit was a GWS foamie. But now I've ordered plans for a couple of small gliders and a warbird.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out before, this trend is not going to go away. We have a society demanding instant, or at least quick, gratification, and somehow the time invested in building is not viewed as worthwhile. I come from a model railroading background, and exactly the same thing is happening there. More ready-to-run, detailed models of locomotives, rolling stock and structures, fewer and fewer kits. Cheap offshore labour is certainly a part of it, but changing attitudes towards how we spend leisure time are also driving it.

Earlier on someone was lamenting that magazines are catering to the ARF, RTF crowd. I agree. I also find that the american magazines are a) written as if they were 30 second sound bites, and b) more advertising than content. I've switched picking up a couple of British magazines from time to time, and find them quite good. They also include free plans! I like Quiet and Electric Flight International, and I've only browsed through the scale mag, but it looks much better than anything published on this side of the pond.
Squidbait is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #38
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
The arf or the kit or scratch built debate raises its head every so often without any clear cut consensus as to which is the best.

How about looking at it this way. This is a hobby that you take up for your own enjoyment. If you have attained that then what you are doing is perfect. It matters not what radio, engine, plane or anything else you use. If it fits your needs and satisfys you then you are getting the most out of a fantastic hobby.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #39
RCC Contributor

You started a good thread. I'll buy a magazine off the rack occasionally, usually at the start of a vacation or long trip. Not looking for an ARF, I'm usually disappointed at the content and go back to the internet forums for all my rc information. I used to tell people getting into the hobby to build their first plane from a kit so they really get a good grasp of the basics. Not any more, now I recommend an ARF or better yet a ready to fly trainer like the Nexstar or Alpha. My reasons are; it's the cheapest, fastest way to get flying and there's a very good chance he/she won't be around for very long. I've wasted lots of my time helping build and telling everything I know only to watch them move on to the next distraction after one season. If, however, the newbie insists on building his first plane from a kit or plans. well, I have to say this person is made of the right stuff!!
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #40
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

I agree with Propworn in his last post 100%
MAAC #11945L
IMAC #3709
Instructor Soo Modellers
Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.