Glow Engine Bearings - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5
Glow Engine Bearings

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As our flying season winds down at least here in Ontario I have a few tips on oiling your glow engine. This should also apply after each flying day. Our raw fuel is very harmful to exposed metal used in bearings. Even if you hook up your glow driver and use your starter you will never get all the fuel out of the crankcase. Take a look at the pictures I've enclosed, most were rusted from fuel left in the crankcase. If you can't get oil in the motor right away at least block the muffler and carb and even the oil vent on 4-Strokes to stop air from getting in, until you can oil the motor. I use a 50/50 mix of air tool oil and red tranny fluid as my after run lubricant. Its been discussed many times on this site before. But, any oil will be better than no oil. I fly mostly OS Alpha 4-Strokes and for the winter I remove the cam cover to get oil in the motor. But every Alpha I have is always full of oil because of the way it gets circulated through the engine. Alpha's are the best lubricated engines I've ever seen. Its so important to oil glow motors but not many people bother to do it. I use a ink refill dropper for mine. It will even fit inside the oil vent on all 4-Strokes. Don't put it off, oiling is so important to all glow engines. Need any bearings, send me a PM. Cheers Floyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4252.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1062289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4255.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1062297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4257.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1062305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4259.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1062313  

floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Glow Engine Bearings

All very good points.

I have been using that same 50/50 mix for over 3 decades for both assembly and after run lube. Neither damage the seals or gaskets.

I also agree keeping out the atmosphere is important, (more specifically any moisture) but capping the intake and exhaust serves to keep your transport and storage area clean by minimizing the chance any residue leaks out.

It should also be mentioned that although all are vulnerable, the quality of the bearing metal does make some difference in durability. Pac Rim bearings may be less expensive. You pay for that in less life even with good care and feeding.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.