RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11
VTx/Rx--What is Raceband??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey guys,

trying to learn some of this fpv before i get into it at some point.

What is this Raceband about when it comes to the VTx/Rx's??

Any info would be great guys, thanks
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Blade 450x, every lynx/blade upgrade available--PARTING OUT(CHECK CLASSIFIEDS)
HK Clik and RC Foam Factory Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 4
Re: VTx/Rx--What is Raceband??

"raceband" refers to the frequency band that the Vtx is operating on. There are 4 or 5 bands in 5.8ghz for us to use, depending on the manufacturer. Each band has 8 channels if i remember correctly. Most of the chinese Vtx stuff is 8 channel (one band) or 32 channels (4 bands) the ones labeled 40 channel would have the 5th band, raceband on it as well. If you can find a list of the frequencies on each band, you'll see how the channel spacing is. I think race band is set up so there would be less likelihood for frequency interference. For example, when one person is on A band, channel 3, and another is on B band, channel 6, the frequencies could be very close and you may get interference.
Some of the organized races only use race band frequencies.
I think thats about it in a simple nutshell!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
"raceband" refers to the frequency band that the Vtx is operating on. There are 4 or 5 bands in 5.8ghz for us to use, depending on the manufacturer. Each band has 8 channels if i remember correctly. Most of the chinese Vtx stuff is 8 channel (one band) or 32 channels (4 bands) the ones labeled 40 channel would have the 5th band, raceband on it as well. If you can find a list of the frequencies on each band, you'll see how the channel spacing is. I think race band is set up so there would be less likelihood for frequency interference. For example, when one person is on A band, channel 3, and another is on B band, channel 6, the frequencies could be very close and you may get interference.
Some of the organized races only use race band frequencies.
I think thats about it in a simple nutshell!
Ok, cool.

Very nice explanation

And I had a feeling since it was called raceband that I may need one that has that feature since the only reason I even want to get into fpv is for racing. So I figured I better fins out what this is about lol.

So couple of questions to clear everything up though...

1.)...So using your scenario, why is it that this would even be too close of frequencies and end up interfering when one person is on A band, channel 3, and another is on B band, channel 6??....I would have almost assumed it would never be a problem kinda thing, both are different frequencies and furthermore different bands...isn't that the point of being on that frequency and having people around you know that, so that everyone is one there own frequency and playing nice together?!?...kinda like the FM board in the flight box at the field where you pin-up the frequency your on.

2.)...So am I picturing this right?...there's a race going on and for that one race, up to 8 people would race together with everyone all set to raceband and everyone each using a different one of the 8 channels(frequencies) within the Raceband?
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c

Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 156

Checkout this frequency table:

See how channel 1A is so close to B8, 5865 to 5866. In all cases, if a buddy is on 1A, I can see him on my GS on 1A AND B8

The below channel list includes race band:

As long as you and your friends have enough spacing between your respective channels, you wont have a problem.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S

Awesome Max thanks

That makes it pretty simple!

So in an organized race, if it was big enough that there were numerous heats and such, would they be running the race with everyone locked in on a raceband channel, and then anyone in the pits per se would be fine to do watever they wanted on their own quad if working on it or anything?

How many guys usually race together in a fair sized organized event?

I'm guess especially in other parts of the world than Canada, they must have more than 1 race going on at one time??....in that case I guess the 2nd race would have to be all on another band if one race was already going on in the raceband?

I'm really surprised MAAC hasn't updated and came out with a newer style frequency board like the FM ones at the fields but for FPV channels now!!
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerfien View Post

I'm really surprised MAAC hasn't updated and came out with a newer style frequency board like the FM ones at the fields but for FPV channels now!!
They do have a chart on the web documents. Not something you could say print out and make into a control board but shows frequencies.

Does not appear to have Raceband on it.

They recommend 40-60 mhz separation.
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S

ok so what happens when 2 peoples Tx/Rx are tuned into the same frequencies..I know if another Rx tunes in then they'll just see the video as well but what if another Tx went live on that frequency!!??

Ok so using the 40-60mhz rule, I just noticed that the raceband is the only channel whose frequencies are roughly 40ish apart already. Unlike the other 4 channels which are only 20mhz spaced apart
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

If you are at a race, no powering vtx's in the pits at all. Bad move that may get you booted.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #9
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
If you are at a race, no powering vtx's in the pits at all. Bad move that may get you booted.
OHH OK!!!.....This is VERY good to know lolol.

This is the type of things I definitely need to know since next year me and another member of the Whitby Flying club is going to be organizing a heli/quad event and we want to run an fpv race course setup as well. We want to try and make this an annual thing with the hopes and turning it into substantially sized event people attend to, and while the both of us are the go to heli guys in the club, the quad stuff is still new to us as we don't have one yet.....emphasis on the YET!!!!lolol.

We were originally just planning a heli event but had so much interest from the quad guys at our field that we decided to mix both together with the plans of splitting the main field down the middle for 2 separate heli flying fields basically, and the do a quad race off in another section of the club we've allocated to heli hover training and just recently now "slash" quad racing area lolol
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Old 10-31-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Quad Copter
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ed D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 0

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...-RACE-BAND.jpg
Quad Copter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.