New to planes! What should I buy first? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related
Sponsored by: Shami Hobbies

Old 10-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10
Re: New to planes! What should I buy first?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytmerc83 View Post
Many of the guys I have brought into this hobby started on my Apprentice.
what did people do before the apprentice ???

inquiring minds would like to know

it only inspires a false sense of security to the beginner into thinking they will not crash..
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
Mytmerc83
RCC Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 0

Not saying it's the only way. But if it does go down it's quick and easy to fix with out major time delays. I did not use the Apprentice to learn but wish I had, would have save a lot of money and planes. As for false sense I think not! If you point it at the ground it will crash with or without safe. Gravity and the ground always wins no matter what plane. Anyway just an opinion.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #13
itizme
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
Futaba MZ, Futaba SZ

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
If you really want to learn to fly " old school "... then forget the whole FPV crap and the gyro crap and all that other " SAFE " TECH crap.. you will never learn to fly that way..

Get hooked up with a good instructor and a buddy box..

And get this ... tried and true.. and proven..

40 years of people learning to fly on this model.. and it is still in production today...

Absolutely the real way to fly. You cant learn to fly with something self correcting. It's like saying you are flying a quadcopter - you don't. All you do is interfere and some times you are so stupid you interfere enough to crash the buzz factory.

But if all you want is to break all of the bylaws and regulations get an Apprentice and go to the schoolyard, anyone can point one of those with no instructor required.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Mytmerc83
RCC Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 0

But if all you want is to break all of the bylaws and regulations get an Apprentice and go to the schoolyard, anyone can point one of those with no instructor required.[/QUOTE]

The plane doesn't break any laws the pilot does. Loads of people have learned on the Apprentice. So it does work!! Anyways I'm out. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
octagon
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rob D
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 2

The thing that seems to have been missed in this thread is that the SAFE system can be disabled. That is what we do at our club. The SAFE off, and buddy box on. It just happens that Horizon installs the SAFE rx in that plane, but that should not take away from the fact that the plane is an excellent trainer, and is capable of mild aerobatics. A float kit is available for it, and it is easy to repair. Somewhere somebody talked about the Kadet being there for 25 years. True, but when one crashes one of those, they have a major repair job, and somebody getting into the hobby probably does not have the tools or the skill to repair it. We have had some pretty badly crashed foamies that fly again within a few days.

MAAC 12123
octagon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derick
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis/Tactic TTX850
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

I had a heck of a time flying one of those Safe equipped planes.
The self correcting thing just throws me off for some reason.
Had a small eflite cub park flyer/micro with the safe and flew it twice and haven't touch it since.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
octagon
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rob D
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 25

Oh completely agree. I had one of those little Habu 2 jets, the umx ones. by accident I turned on the Safe in it. I thought I had lost radio contact. I think maybe the only time SAFE would be a good idea is if you lived somewhere out on the prairies, where there were no trees, and there was no one else within 300 miles to be your buddy on a buddy box.

MAAC 12123
octagon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky

Well you know.. I may seem like an old stick in the mud... and yes I am.. I am a purist.. I learned on a buddy box with an instructor ,, and yup I also crashed.. I thought it was the end of my flying hobby.. I never gave up though.. I just started down a new path.. learning how to fix my aircraft..

The next week at the field I looked at my instructor and said.. " I am glad that crash happened.. Because now I am past the fear of crashing and I know I can fix it.. ""

That is the hobby.. you fly you crash you fix and you fly again..

My poor old hobbico 60 is proof of that.. the only thing left on it from the orginal ARF that I purchased are the tail feathers and the wing tips.. everything else has been replaced at some point in time..

I once asked my instructor .. what is stopping someone from getting their wings with a trainer and going home and putting together a big kick ass turbine..

his response was.. " Common sense and a credit card bill ""

I have known clubs that would give a wings test to someone flying an apprentice ...

All of this so called SAFE TECH crap is not about getting people to learn to fly rc aircraft..

It is all about sales.. and money and profit..

The sign outside of every McDonald's says " 99 billion served "

Does it mean the food is any good... NOT BLOODY LIKELY..

It is only a marketing scam.. And the really scary part is that people believe it..
Old 10-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #19
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Oh completely agree. I had one of those little Habu 2 jets, the umx ones. by accident I turned on the Safe in it. I thought I had lost radio contact. I think maybe the only time SAFE would be a good idea is if you lived somewhere out on the prairies, where there were no trees, and there was no one else within 300 miles to be your buddy on a buddy box.
My next curious question would be..

What happens to this SAFE TECH .. if someone flies it until the battery is dead..???

Then what ???

Will this so called SAFE TECH dead stick the aircraft to a landing ????

guess they didn't teach that one in apprentice flight school
Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #20
DO335
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
It is only a marketing scam.. And the really scary part is that people believe it..
You may remember this:

Advertising cons you into thinking that you're the one who can do what's never been done, who can win what's never been won. All propaganda is phony.

Learned to fly on a plane called a Royal Coachman, back about 1973. Crashed every day. Repaired every night and was on my way after that summer. No buddy boxes in those bad old days.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
learner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.