New to planes! What should I buy first? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related
Sponsored by: Shami Hobbies

Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #31
PRS
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul S
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Re: New to planes! What should I buy first?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wow nothing like an argument to scare someone away!

Corbin I see you are in Orillia. Make it a point to come out to the Orillia Aeromodelers field on a Sat or Sun when the weather is good around noon. Introduce yourself and ask for Mark or Dennis (or even myself) and I am sure they can discuss your options on what would make you sucessful.

Mark and Dennis are flight instructors and the club is full of fantastic people.

Since you want to go electric I see nothing wrong with the apprentice if the safe is disabled as they train on a buddy box system. If you want to build there are not a lot of kits left but there are some balsa ARF planes available and I have seen trainers come up here for sale a lot.

There is a very nice Sig LT40 with a brushless setup for sale right now:
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=454386

or there are two 40 nitro trainers for sale: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=456377

If the weather is decent Sunday I will be out flying as the season is getting short.
PRS is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #32
CorbinLynchP
RCC Noob

I am: Corbin L-P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Well, my apologies for taking so long to reply guys, had a bit of a crazy week as my quad decided to lose itself on me while I was filming, so I've been a bit dedicated to finding it, haha. I am really split between the Apprentice and the other trainer the "old timers" have mentioned a few times. I do like the idea of not having any "add-ons" for my trainer plane, and the idea of being able to fix it quite easily.
To the good Ser who is in Orillia as well, I will definitely be out this weekend if the weather is good!! Are quadcopters welcome, or is it a plane/heli only? Also, I'm not familiar with the aerofield, so you may see me before I see you, I'll be the guy looking REALLY lost. Haha
CorbinLynchP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #33
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 59

My recommendation to beginners is to start with a pure glider. You will have an appreciation of what really happens in the air with the wing in turns, stalls, and under different wind conditions. It also teaches you to plan your flight and especially your landings. Anyone that has learned that way will be a better pilot short term and long and will never ever fear an engine out condition.

However very few heed that advice so the next best is a moderately powered polyhedral glider. There are a number of those to choose from.

For those that cannot possibly entertain the thought of a glider in any form, then your powered plane should be as large as you can practically go budget, storage and transportation wise. Choose something with a flat bottom high wing, lots of dihedral, light wing loading and again, moderately powered. The Telemaster or Sig Kadet Senior/Senioita series are next to ideal. There are other primary trainers that work well too but avoid anything advertised as a "fully aerobatic first trainer" as it won't be both!

These birds should fly virtually hands off when trimmed properly including a gentle climb under added power and a gentle descent power off - no other control input needed! They should also be able to recover from a moderate dive or bank hands off without loosing a lot of altitude.

If you show up at a flying field with an aircraft like that very few guys will turn you away as their student because you will learn quickly and be on your own in short order. Nothing frustrates an instructor more that trying to teach a newbe how to fly on a hot rod! Remember he wants to fly his stuff too so respect his time and effort by making it as easy as you can on both of you and choose your first plane with your head not your ego!

As for what it is made of? It makes little difference in my mind. If it is truly a proper trainer any misshaps will be minor in nature anyway and easily repaired regardless.

Make sense?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #34
coastrc
RCC Contributor

I am: Channing
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 20

Lot's of good advice, & no offence, but from my perspective it sounds much more complicated than it has to be...

If you want to keep it simple, just get the apprentice or something similar,...flyzone beaver is good & the floats work good on the snow once your comfortable. Learn to fly, then go from there.

People ask me how I got to the level I'm at in only a few years, simple, I bought a simulator & I go & fly every chance I get, year round. (BTW I learned on warbirds, from micros up to a 1400mm Corsair, which was an easy flyer)

There are many aspects of the hobby. Some guys just fly the same planes, the same way, every time, some guys find every excuse not to fly, some guys prefer to build, & some guys just come to the field to BS. Whatever works for you is fine.

If you wanna get good fast, buy a sim, put it on the indoor site & choose an appropriate model & practice doing circuits & figure 8s in that tight space for 20min a day. Upright, inverted, knife edge, etc. You will crash constantly at first, but if you keep working at it just a little bit each day & get out flying for real whenever you can you will be better than most people in 1-2 years.
coastrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #35
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 17

One other thing I'd like to ad is flite test has some pretty decent flying planes no matter what your skill level at building. The plans are free online, print...tape....cut....glue. That easy you can put cheap as cheap electronics into them and foam board is cheap. Plus you can use any RX of choice so no "safe" mode. These planes you can crash and rebuild and only be out three bucks. For water and snow they have a couple designs and water proof foam board! These are not a long term plane but will get you up and flying again and again, all the time building skill level at building.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #36
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 59

Good points Channing, my comments come from spending far too many years trying to teaching new people how to fly on inappropriate planes and not near enough time flying my own stuff. A selfish point of view I will admit!

Mytmerc83, I had forgotten about the Flite Test stuff. Most of their planes are small and twitchy but you are correct, very cheap to get into and aimed at the budget minded beginner. Good suggestion!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #37
scochrane
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Stephen Cochrane
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Just bought an Apprentice. Yes it does have safe technology so that you don't over correct, but you still have to be able to fly, know the dynamics of flight. It does stop you from doing dumb things, many beginners overfly their planes and get into trouble. But you still have to get the plane back onto the ground, all the safe technology in the world won't do that for you. Maybe the next higher technology equipped with GPS will land the plane for you. I decided against the GPS equipped plane because I didn't see the need to have the plane come back to where I took off or have an electronic fence to fly within. I can do that. My problem has been depth perception, I tend to bring the plane in on a perfect slope destined for the bean (or corn (even more unforgiving)) field but my new glasses have helped in that matter!

Long story short - I had three great flights yesterday with an experienced piolot beside me without issue with my Apprentice. I'll graduate to intermediate and experienced levels as I feel more competent.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #38
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
If you really want to learn to fly " old school "... then forget the whole FPV crap and the gyro crap and all that other " SAFE " TECH crap.. you will never learn to fly that way..

Get hooked up with a good instructor and a buddy box..

And get this ... tried and true.. and proven..

40 years of people learning to fly on this model.. and it is still in production today...
EXCELLENT advice!

Tags
learner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.