The Boomerang Sprint Club - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 10-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #51
DHC8
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Louis Simon
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: OMG

Total Props: 0
Re: The Boomerang Sprint Club

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My dry weight is 21.5lbs with a JC Cheetah. I used standard size Savox High TQ servo's in the rudders, and a monster 400+oz-in servo for the elevator. So nothing light weight in the tail. I also balanced mine at 9" from the TE, and I had to mount my ECU batter just ahead of the Trubine (right behind the fuel tank). My flight packs are mounted righ up in the nose above the nose wheel. I didn't need any additional weight to get it to balance out at 9". It flies very good at 9", I might even be a little less then 9", probably 8 3/4". Slows down great, and no bad stall tendancies. I balanced it with about 1" of fuel, air trap full, and gear down.

Here is a picture of my layout up front. All the pnumatics are mounted under the tray, I may convert it all to electric over the winter as the current stuff is pretty worn out and just barely holding together.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FD51577-A47A-44DE-A1EB-101DE2282649_zpsjginvhlg.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1074465  
DHC8 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #52
kpark
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 1

Hi Larry

there are 4 alum rods 2 per wing - Will have to check the wing carrier to see if they are
long enough to go into the 2 plates or they could be stuck into foam of the fuse carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
Ken I didn't see the 2 aluminum rods in that carrier. Are you hiding them or did you forget them?
kpark is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #53
cicopo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 14

Could they be stored inside the large CF wing tube?

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #54
excelsiuss
RCC Contributor

I am: Peter M
Radio of choice:
JR12X
# of RCs: 6

Mine weighed in today at 19.5lbs. JM Merlin. 1" of fuel in the tank. I had my CG set to 10" but always intended to move it back. Reading here that at least 2 of you guys are using 9" I decided to go that way as it will be easier on grass field ops.
excelsiuss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #55
Gizmoman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Peter W.
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: >25

I've got two Sprints and used a Xicoy digital weight and balance CG meter to weigh them. Weights are with the radio system installed, UAT full, empty fuel tank, and no batteries. Both have the same UAT and Jet Tech 125 oz fuel tank. The first one (Pro-Link pneumatic retracts) with a P80SE kero start weighed 8.85Kg and the same airframe with the ATJ140SV installed weighs 8.6Kg. The other Sprint (Pro-Link electric retracts installed) with a VT80BL weighs 8.5Kg. The VT80 airframe was damaged when I acquired it and needed lots of TLC, so no doubt is heavier than a new airframe.

G

Last edited by Gizmoman; 10-15-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
Gizmoman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #56
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Can't seem to get any numbers on prolink air system vs electric. The air system would also have to take into consideration extra servos needed to operate both brakes and retract.
Also if you took two sprints out if the boxes that you would never get the same weights prior to build.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #57
excelsiuss
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR12X

Well even though mine is light at 8.85kilo(19.5lbs) I know where all the extra weight is coming from.. Its the biotech gear. Man they are heavy and beefy, but thats exactly what I want for grass. Ive gone threw so many sets of Prolink Junk I will never buy from them again.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #58
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Biotech... sorry never heard of them. Got a link ; might be interesting? I like the Prolink drive system but ; agree the legs aren't the best. the biggest complaint is the springs could be better for starters .
Seriously looking at the square legs that Altecaier are selling.Thanks

hope to do a re-weigh this week to see just where I am at.

Last edited by stegl; 10-15-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #59
excelsiuss
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR12X

lol.. Ok my bad. There Behotec struts for the C-36 retracts on Peters site.
http://www.altecare.com/struts.htm

These puppies are Heavy Duty and it will be a very long time before they wear.

The Prolinks are all sideloaded(an incredibly poor design, but one that will ensure you keep coming back to them each season ) The twisting and turning is not good for any part of the strut. The knee is to short(the part where the strut bends)more so the area where the pin goes threw, will wear quickly!. The springs are a bit weak and lose their resilience after time. I wear out a pair of prolinks each season, and let me tell you, I land like a butterfly with sore feet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1075042  
Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #60
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Yes, the Behotec were the ones I was considering. Just wondering what the 6 mm pins are like or is that hardened steel ? I would have to make a 10 mm spacer to fit the prolink hole in the retract unit but that is not a problem as I have a sherline .
I find the intairco electric brakes are really doing their job almost too well as they now are starting to lock up so will have to do a braking curve on the transmitter .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.