Student training difficulties - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
yhz99
RCC Noob

I am: Gerald C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum 9
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Re: Student training difficulties

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks guys for all the help. I have a simulator. I will make more use of it. I might try FPV & change A/C from my Apprentice.
yhz99 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #12
Pauld
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Highly recommend a Sig Cadet LT40 with a glow engine or at least an electric set up where you can get a decent flight time. Especially at the stage you are at, once you get an instructor lined up, you want to maximize your time with them and shoot a bunch of tough and goes or landings - this will be the hardest thing to master.

Keep at it - I know a gentleman who had over 20,000 hours as a staff pilot for Boeing. Test pilot, transition training, you name it - he told me RC was the hardest thing he's ever done.

Cheers,

PaulD

www.wircsrc.com/
http://www.jetpilots.org/
http://www.spectrumflyers.com/
MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:48 AM   #13
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Just put yourself in the cockpit, in your mind and say left...right to yourself and you will train yourself. You may lose it and crash once in awhile. Thats the hobby. Also do use a simulator. Also get training every day or multintimes a week and it will come much quicker. Most older guys(you are 5 years older than I am) tend to not come out enough and they frustrate me never mind themselves. Try to avoid tunnel vision on TO and L.
NOTHING wrong with tha apprentice. Do not change the gear just use it more!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
Mad_Mike
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike M
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6 G2
# of RCs: 15

Just to re-inforce as lots of folks have pointed it out.
My brother flies 767s and can not fly a toy Cub!

Pretty funny.
Mad_Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Agree with pretty much everything as said. Flight simulator is the way to go but with slight twist. Stay with the same model till a bit comfortable and then go with changes. As for long flying times on you Apprentice, I would keep it to about 6 Mins max as you don't want to go into "brain overload" . More shorter flights are better than fewer longer flights. Flying figure 8's is the best practice going . I find that after you are comfortable do as many touch and goes as you can get in ;as setup for landings will be the hardest as you will be coming toward yourself.
If you want to fly RC I would not suggest FPV . Just one mans opinion.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Most of RC flying is the reality of remembering where you put the aircraft last and planning your next maneouver from there. If you loose track of the attitude and direction it is suppose to be going, level the wings and do a left turn. If it turns left it is going away from you and vice versa if it turns right it is coming towards you. The main reason you look at the airplane is to keep track of where it is so you can plan your next move.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

I have instructed a couple of older gentlemen in the past and they were successful. Forget FPV and simulators I really find they do more harm then good. Yes being a full scale pilot is a negative because you feel this should be easy. As we become older |hand - eye coordination becomes a issue and also any medications you may be on. I know I had a issue with a medication, fortunately i was able solve it. find someone you trust and doesn't try to bullshit you and fly alot. I promise you will get it.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #18
cicopo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 14

I'm surprised that no one has suggested an E glider to get more flying experience. Helps teach the orientation part of things & can get itself out of trouble when needed by letting go of the sticks for a moment while it corrects your mistaken input. They (in general) are a far more relaxed way to learn R/C.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
volksman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: robert j

You are probably at the stage where an instructor can't help you it's crash and learn. Into the wind full bore it will fly itself same thing landing. Into the wind elevator is stop throttle is go. Balance the two it lands do these things many many times. And you will be happy. Money doesn't hurt either. Have some stuff ready to go. Be prepared to fix and patch.
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #20
FD av8r
RCC Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 6

The e-glider is in fact a good suggestion for easy paced flying. The radian glider is pretty darned fantastic...and besides the powerful full throttle climbs is really very gentle. For sure an option if you have any interest in gliders/soaring.

And hey, if you get a chance...post a photo of you and your plane at your club. Always cool to see who were chatting with and where and what they fly. Just an idea.

Daryll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.