Caught on Camera: Weirdest Drone Crash; Motor Came off - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
hk4fvj
RCC Noob

I am: Al M
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Caught on Camera: Weirdest Drone Crash; Motor Came off

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Motor disengaged after more than ten minutes of perfect flight. See video on YouTube. I will post additional pictures later:

hk4fvj is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: Caught on Camera: Weirdest Drone Crash; Motor Came off

That happened to one of the guys here. The C-clip that holds the motor shaft in place was missing. The only thing holding the motor together was the magnetic field.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
cravenjw
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 18

Or if you have whacked the motor, many brands have a press fit of the bell to and internal shaft. I have had vortex motors, Cobras and xnova bells pop off when press fit loosened.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

From what you see the entire motor departs, including the retaining screws. If I had to guess, the piece that came off first may have been from the arm where the motor is bolted down and it then failed completely. Difficult to tell as there appears to be a prop blade separation at the beginning and when the motor departs it looks intact. Wonder if another prop separated and impacted this one.

If another blade came apart it would cause a severe vibration, which may have affected the stability system.

Unfortunately, this also reinforces one of the major disadvantages with this type craft, ie. the lack of redundancy or capability of control with loss of a power system. with helis or planes flight can still be controlled if the motor fails. I would think one with more motors, or double props each corner, would better tolerate the loss of one system, but then you get into much greater complexity and cost.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5

I've had that happen with my emax motors, one of them the motor housing came off, this was after a lot of flights. The C Clip just let go about 4 mins into a flight and the quad spun in and was undamaged except for the motor. I found the motor housing and blade, undamaged, put it back together and just replaced the C clip, still flying it now...

Tom
Old 10-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM View Post
That happened to one of the guys here. The C-clip that holds the motor shaft in place was missing. The only thing holding the motor together was the magnetic field.
Hey!!! That is exactly what happened to one of the 250 drone fliers at my club as well!. After we found the motor, it popped back on. It took him a day or 2 to find an e-clip that fit, and it flew again. I'm guessing poor quality control?

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
hk4fvj
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the comments. The motor departed wit the plastic base and the four screws. Basically the plastic body did not resist. The four blades were balanced using the Dubro balancing machine prior to maiden flight. Never perceived any vibration. I can only think the body is made of a cheap plastic but is only my feeling.

It was the fifth flight of the year and all previous were excellent; also at the moment of the accident, it had been flying for 12 minutes, which make things even weirdest.

No blade broke at all. The black Silhouette that resembles a half blade is a picture artifact, I guess retention by the CCD element of the camera, something similar to retina retention.

I have attached three additional picture that were not included in the original video. They do show how the motor with the retained blade, atatched four screws and plastic base falls hopelessly down to earth while the drone try to remain stable. Finally it goes nuts after almost three-five seconds and falls to shatter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19-21.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1072937   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-20.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1072945   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-22_edited.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	1072953  
Old 10-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
hk4fvj
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM View Post
Hi there
In this case, the full motor altogether with the propeller the four screws and even the plastic base disengaged.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Ah, not counting the half blade in the frame that's what I thought and noted in my original post. Did not see the base, though.

Sounds like the arm cracked. Could be a design or manufacturing issue, (drilling may have separated layers or created a sharp edge) or tightening the screws may have induced stress into that area. Unfortunately it ripped the wires out when departing so that motor is toast.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
hk4fvj
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Ah, not counting the half blade in the frame that's what I thought and noted in my original post. Did not see the base, though.

Sounds like the arm cracked. Could be a design or manufacturing issue, (drilling may have separated layers or created a sharp edge) or tightening the screws may have induced stress into that area. Unfortunately it ripped the wires out when departing so that motor is toast.
Not only that motor. After crashing, the remaining three motors had all the cables pulled out by the impact. I had to order the four motors and the full body.

I was initially reluctant to fix it specially because the 2.4 Ghz Tx was also damaged, however I did fix it with a microscope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.