Taking the plunge into the RC world!! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
With your stick and tissue background I can see why you chose the Kadet SR.
This model is a smooth flyer and I prefer bigger trainers,but the lack of ailerons on this design and the nose wheel are minuses in my opinion and you would be better off with with a SIG LT 40 which I think is the best trainer of all currently..........
I cant comment on electrics since I dont fly them...........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Fred can I make a suggestion. First of all I am assuming that you do not have any of the equipment. You might want to consider one of the complete arf trainer packages. These include the engine of proper size and good quality equipment all the way around. Everything you need to get started as a student. The reason I suggest this route is two fold. First is you will not have spent time building each part of the airplane so not only will you be in the air faster but you will not worry so much about the wear and tear that is bound to happen with your first plane. As an instructor I have found that the learning curve of students using these easy to replace arfs quicker than those who build their own. These planes tend to be quite sturdy and if one does damage a wing or fuselage are a bit easier to fix than the stick and tissue style of plane such as the Kadet Senior. On that note parts like the wing and fuse are readily available as replacements.

Another thing to consider is the cost. This whole setup, everything you will need, will cost between 4 and 5 hundred Canadian delivered to your door via Hobby Wholesale. When I order these and it happens often right from the field via a cell phone I ask for Lyndon and order the plane(complete with radio and engine installed), 3 props, 3 glo plugs and a glo igniter.

In the meantime while you are learning to fly you can look around at the second plane you wish to fly and actually build that. See now all in one jump you are participating in the two best things that make up this hobby. Building and flying.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

All of what Gary Maker says is true, to a point... What I read out of Fred's post is that he enjoys building, which is why I recommended the Viking. He wants to learn to fly, which is why I recommended the Viking. Becasue the Viking was a freeflight before radio came along, it is a guaranteed flyer FIRST, radio controlled next, the perfect trainer: if it gets ahead of the pilot, he just lets the controls go, throttles back, reorients himself, and he's back on track. I have a Dragonfly (old MB design, 6' span, 09 power), and I taught many dozens to fly with it, without repairs.

I pretty well had to teach myself to fly r/c, and I learned on a Schoolboy, a built-up kit. I was not an easy student, I actually landed in a lake once in those early days. I've watched the larger, more expensive trainers, and while the have some latent stability, the WILL NOT fly themselves when things get difficult.

Back to what I should have said in the first place, Fred, have a look around. Check out the Kelowna club (take your calculator!), then check out Summerland's electric stuff, you will soon see what it is that suitsyou. Good luck, it's a great hobby!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Welcome back Fred -you're more than welcome to join us at our regular Club meeting next Wednesday 7:30 at the Seniors Centre on Richter and Fuller. This meeting a couple of our members are giving presentations on " preparing your aircraft for float flying" and " computer radios", and we plan to make member presentations a regular feature each month.

Also, the Zone-wide Model Symposium is being held in Penticton on March 12.
This would be a perfect opportunity to learn a whole lot about the hobby in one day - there are guest presenters from all over BC, and there will be a session especially for beginners, others for electric flying, aircraft covering, computer radios, engines, etc. If you go the "What's new" button on our club website - www.korc.ca and scroll to the bottom of the page, there is a complete write-up on the Penticton event. Probably many of our guys will car pool down so if you come to our meeting next week you may be able to hitch a ride with someone. Lester's Hobbies from Nakusp will be at the Penticton event, and his prices are as good, often better than the discount houses.

Send me a PM if you need more info and I'd be pleased to help or point you in the right direction.

Secretary, KORC
BrianDallas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:07 AM   #15
RCC Noob

Thanks very much Brian, I had in fact already found the Kelowna club's web page and have given Barry McLean a call as he is the contact person listed. He filled me in on the upcoming events which I plan to attend. I've been very busy researching and deciding on what equipment to buy. Of course I've changed my mind about most of it again, partly on suggestions from this and other forums. One thing that I've read regarding choosing a radio is to go with something that is common at one's flying club. Can you tell me what radio gear most of the guys are using at your field? That way I can do more research and be able to ask better questions. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to meeting the club members.

kelownafred is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor

Fred - glad to hear you had made contact with Barry already, and as he told you we have a very full plate of events this year. I believe there are more Futaba radios in the Club than any other brand, although we also have many who have Airtronics, Hitec and JR, or more than one brand. These days all the radio equipment is very reliable, and it tends to be more a matter of personal choice that one guy goes with a differnt brand than another. If however you will need the services of one of our instructors to get started in this great hobby, I believe all our Club buddy boxes are Futaba, so I would recommend you stick with this brand only for that reason.
Loooking forward to seeing you next week.

BrianDallas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.