Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1
Re: Hobbyking oleo struts

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ive had chinese "alloy" products before...and I coudnt tell you what type of metal it was! It was very soft and a magnet would kinda stick to it. lol
If their struts are aluminum, it would be nice to just include something like 6061-T6 aluminum in the descriptions...alloy is very vague.
I am going to order set and see for myself I guess

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
excelsiuss
RCC Contributor

I am: Peter M
Radio of choice:
JR12X
# of RCs: 6

I bought several straight leg struts for Warbirds and they have all worked as advertised. I ran into some poor strength Alloy issues when I bought a set of Trailing Link gear similar to the link you have provided. Also the spring included was very soft. I will never purchase trailing links again from HK, though the others are good.

Something to consider.. If you have a 20lb plane, then each main gear should be able to hold 20lbs by its self.
excelsiuss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzee View Post
Ive had chinese "alloy" products before...and I coudnt tell you what type of metal it was! It was very soft and a magnet would kinda stick to it. lol
If their struts are aluminum, it would be nice to just include something like 6061-T6 aluminum in the descriptions...alloy is very vague.
I am going to order set and see for myself I guess
What the magnet was " kinda sticking to it" was the steel spring inside the gear. Pull the spring and screws and you will find likely no sticky.
When aluminum is heat treated it can be hardened to make it much more wear proof and harder to bend. BUT that costs money and money is not what they want to spend. Another negative with soft aluminum is you can get galling between two surfaces and taped screw threads are not strong , ending up with stripped threads and a useless piece of junk unless you are able to re-tap to a larger thread. If done keep the threads as course as you can and use wax on your tap for lubrication.

If you want some quality struts that can carry weight take a look at the C-36 Behotec struts at Altecaire r/c.

Last edited by stegl; 10-16-2016 at 03:36 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #14
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

The aluminum alloy that the magnet likes was a bike part.
Well, with exchange they were $69 CDN. So I guss we will see when they get here.
They are for my Enforcer which is about 8is pounds so I would think they should hold up.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Just land gentle like ! and good luck.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #16
Partsman661
RCC Apprentice

I am: Stevew
Radio of choice:
Dx6i
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Have a set on my hangar-9 p47 60 with about 15 flights on them including a couple of dead sticks
They seem to be holding out so far
The only complaint is that the springs seem a little weak (bottoming out)
For the price I will buy more
Partsman661 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

depending on the diameter of the springs ; you can sometime check with a good hardware store and they may have compressions springs that may be stiffer. The advantage with trailing link struts is; the spring has a larger range of movement over compression sprung type gear ; usually that is.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #18
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10

I use several of them on tri setup.. for a nose gear.. so long as the grass is fairly flat and you don't land hard.. they have worked well..

Our field didn't get rolled this year and was pretty rough.. and even on the softest landing I could pull off usually resulted in a bent gear..
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #19
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10

just on a side note.. I have a pair of robart 152 mains and a 158 nose gear.. and for the 800 usd they are asking for them ... they are the cheapest pile of tin junk I have ever seen.. their so called " positive lock " is just a stamped tin hook that barely engages the lock.. yea right " positive " .. just cheap china junk.. but they know how to charge large for them..
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #20
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
j..pile of tin junk..
It's funny how some of them are made. I got a set of rotating from a guy a while back that was like you say, stamped tin. He had bent them and just put in a couple solid struts to lock them down.

I made new parts from aluminum extrusion and got them working again. Will probably be twice as strong as original.
davidmc36 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.