Help: Electric Motor problem - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 10-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
daveSy
RCC Noob

I am: David S
Radio of choice:
Hitec Optic 6
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Help: Electric Motor problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a BL2212/6 brushless on a Polaris delta fed from a 40A Turnigy ESC. The combination has worked fine for some months, but in my my last outing and consistently now, the motor hiccups at low power settings. When starting from off, it sometimes momentarily reverses before running properly. It always seems to be fine once it gets going.

Is this likely the beginning of a motor problem, or is it a timing problem from a tiring ESC, and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

daveSy
daveSy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 151
Re: Help: Electric Motor problem

The easiest option is to try to adjust the ESC timing first. The "hiccuping" you mention is generally a timing cause, although the root cause may be other factors just like you mention- Tired ESC, magnets losing their strength, draggy bearings. I've even seen timing problems arise when a different prop is used. Heavier or lighter props introduce an element of inertia that may be different from the previous setup (and hence timing)

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Is that the motor supplied by M/A with their kit? What prop are you running? Has the ESC gotten wet?

One place to check is the connections on both sides between the ESC and motor. It will require cutting the heat shrink away. The reason is I have seen far too many where the amount of solder is minimal and you can have an intermittent connection on one of the phases.

Another problem may be too long a motor mounting screw that can extend into the case and impact one or more of the windings. Vibration can eventually wear away the lacquer and cause it to short.

I am on the second stock Polly with an Ultra in the fleet, as well. Like the smaller stock for fun flying while the larger Ultra is better on waves.

Last edited by Cougar429; 10-18-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
daveSy
RCC Noob

I am: David S
Radio of choice:
Hitec Optic 6
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

Thanks to you both. I'll try the timing first and go from there.

It is the motor supplied with the Polaris; the prop is a 6x4.5. I have recently flown it off water but the ESC did not get wet. I have flown a dozen or so flights in the past few weeks with the same set-up, and this problem has only just appeared and only at low speed. But now I have a number of things to check.

Anyone see any reason not to continue flying it, while I try different things? if the power fails, it glides well.

I too have an XL as well. Great machines.
daveSy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

Yeah, its a timing issue of the esc.
I have the same motor near new and new esc and mine does that too.
I just spin it up then throttle off then back up to 1/3 throttle and away it goes.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Never had any issues with either originals. The first motor that came with the Ultra, (picked it up at the M/A booth at Toledo) had a problem at half throttle, exhibiting the same behavior as yours.

They sent me a new motor for free and problems solved.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Hard to say but my first suspect would be the ESC as I have no faith in HK electronics.... unless its my bad luck or co-incidence ; I don't have any with their electronics. Best bet would be , if you know someone that has a working ESC replace the Turnigy and see what happens. My preferred ESC and BEC's are all Castle Creations
and have only had one needing repair and that one was dunked in the lake. Have at least 8 installed over the past 8 plus years and use them on a continuing basis and never a hiccup.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

I tend to agree with those that have stated that it's probably an ESC timing issue. I have had the same symptom on a couple of my electrics and it's always been solved by adjusting the timing. On my smaller 3D HS Slick I ran it like that for a whole summer. The problem only manifests(ed) itself on the ground, when the motor was first powered up. In the air, the slipstream over the prop causes the motor to spin enough so that the prop is always turning in the correct direction.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Question re timing : if the system ran fine for several months with no changes or problems , then all of a sudden start to have issues ; I suspect the ESC going south ? No ?
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Question re timing : if the system ran fine for several months with no changes or problems , then all of a sudden start to have issues ; I suspect the ESC going south ? No ?
Good question. I suspect that over time, as the motor wears (bearings, shaft) and or accumulates some dirt and debris, or you experience a prop strike, even minor, the timing could change. Additionally, a change of batts or props, could affect timing. The ESC is pure electronics, no moving parts, so I would think that it either functions or it doesn't; an intermittent short or overheating notwithstanding. Anyone else?

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.