Turbine Fuel (JETA1) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

I am: Charles M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Total Props: 0
Re: Turbine Fuel (JETA1)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Years ago when we did a lot of flying we had access to Jet A for free but finally quit using it due to the horrid smell of the stuff in vehicles etc. and went back to bulk kerosene or like many now, diesel.
I have read a fair bit about that being the biggest downside, the smell. Though I'm sure it can be managed if contained properly. 50/50 chance, either it will go well with planning, or I'll be another statistic.
Bluesmurfpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #12
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
We also had access to far more than we could ever use. The two IL-76's based at my location each had to do sump and filter drains every two weeks so we ended up with several hundred gallons each time.

After double filtering each way we used it in every diesel we had: mowers, forklift, snow plow, etc. Just had to add a percentage of oil to maintain the injector pumps as straight jet had none.

Even offered it to my R/C turbine friends. Wish we still had that now.
Funnily enough, I've maybe <- (plausible deniability) done that before with left over jet fuel and just dumped it into rental trucks, could be why I didn't make it back to the truck rental place.... weird.

sounds like I've missed out on the free-bee era.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Another consideration if you are getting into turbines , get yourself a Mr Funnel filter to filter
Your fuel as often as you can to get any moisture out. I had a 10 litre jug of kerosene that had a very small ball of water rolling around in the bottom. Got mine at Walmart . Works great on all petroleum based fuels for removing moisture and dirt. Can never be too clean.
I wouldn't loose any sleep over using Jet A vs. Jet A1 vs kerosene. Diesel on the other hand has a higher percentage of sulphur and may not be the best for some micro turbines. Does smoke a lot more on shutdown.
Great suggestion, I'll be picking one up to add to my fueling station. thx
Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #14
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
I believe I read somewhere that there may be a slight degradation in power produced in using diesel vs kerosene or JetA fuel but the end result is the built in design of the spray nozzles. Maybe someone can chime in with more experience using diesel vs kero ?
Interesting, would be good to know what the variance might be, definitely need all the power I can get.

I'm sure each one has been used successfully, and on some level it would come down to personal preference.

Being new to running cute lil'turbines, and the $$ involved, I kinda want the best of the best. I'm sure that will change once I get to the seasoned RC pilot level.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

*disclaimer: I probably could have/should have put all my replies into one post.

Caulk it up to learning curve of posting on here for the first time...
Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
I personally don't use diesel but most, if not all (not sure bout my Wren) on market today are diesel approved with no problems experienced during service intervals.
What do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I read up that Jetcat is A-OK with diesel use, but still not sure I want to be burning up diesel. Call it that "first shinny new turbine" experience still going on over here.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmurfpilot View Post
What do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I read up that Jetcat is A-OK with diesel use, but still not sure I want to be burning up diesel. Call it that "first shinny new turbine" experience still going on over here.
Charles I use bulk kero since 2001 (except for the experiment with JetA, you can buy it at Mohawk Fuel products in S/E Edmonton for about half the price of hardware store kero. I run Jetcat and Wren engines. Like someone who mentioned here, a Mr. Funnel is one of the best investments you will make regardless of whatever fuel you decide to use.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #18
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Charles ; as mentioned , don't loose any sleep over using Kero vs Jet fuel . I have both
and don't be afraid to mix jet with kerosene. The big thing is go with the manufacturer
recommendation on lube oil. They love to sell their proprietary oils . I mix Mobil DTE light the same 5% ratio for my Jets Munt and Wren 44 Turboprop.

You still haven't said what turbine you are using...come on don't keep it secret ; tell us more.

As for smell ; so far I can't seem to tell which is "stinkier ".

The use of diesel had other manufacturers come on line with it's use to match King Tec's use of diesel and as I said with some; the power is down a bit but if you are only
loosing 1 lb of thrust that won't be a super big deal. From what I have picked up is if it means not flying ; I would resort to using diesel but with kerosene and jet fuel being available ; that is my first choice.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #19
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

Quote:
Charles ; as mentioned , don't loose any sleep over using Kero vs Jet fuel . I have both
and don't be afraid to mix jet with kerosene. The big thing is go with the manufacturer
recommendation on lube oil. They love to sell their proprietary oils . I mix Mobil DTE light the same 5% ratio for my Jets Munt and Wren 44 Turboprop.

You still haven't said what turbine you are using...come on don't keep it secret ; tell us more.

As for smell ; so far I can't seem to tell which is "stinkier ".

The use of diesel had other manufacturers come on line with it's use to match King Tec's use of diesel and as I said with some; the power is down a bit but if you are only
loosing 1 lb of thrust that won't be a super big deal. From what I have picked up is if it means not flying ; I would resort to using diesel but with kerosene and jet fuel being available ; that is my first choice.
Len, this reply is for the sake of discussion, I don't think you will see less thrust with diesel because the ecu will still pump enough fuel into the engine to maintain max rpm regardless of what fuel is used, so if diesel does have less btu's (and it does not as per Google search) it would show up in fuel economy. Also, most guys don't realize that our summer diesel is minimum 5 pct biofuel (canola oil) which also cuts down the actual fuel efficiency. Our winter diesel does not have biofuel added. And yes, JetA is horrid stuff odor wise compared to kero.

Last edited by reo; 10-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #20
luv2flyrc
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Len, this reply is for the sake of discussion, I don't think you will see less thrust with diesel because the ecu will still pump enough fuel into the engine to maintain max rpm regardless of what fuel is used, so if diesel does have less btu's (and it does not as per Google search) it would show up in fuel economy. Also, most guys don't realize that our summer diesel is minimum 5 pct biofuel (canola oil) which also cuts down the actual fuel efficiency. Our winter diesel does not have biofuel added. And yes, JetA is horrid stuff odor wise compared to kero.
My experience has been the same as most guys, that diesel makes more power than Jet A or Kero. Also, it has fraction of the sulfur content that Jet A has. ULS diesel has approx 15ppm, Jet A can have in excess of 500ppm sulfur.

Ron is correct about BTU's as well,

Side note:, I just had a 25 hour service on a JC Cheetah that has been fed the last 15+ hrs on diesel and mobil DTE light, they sent the old bearings back with the motor, I was surprised to see they looked brand new!

After running diesel for the last 3 years, I'd never go back to kero or Jet A.

Advantages of diesel:

more power
Cleaner burning
buy at corner gas station
cheap- 5gal diesel= $18, 5 gal Jet A= $30, 5 gal Kero (2x store bought 10L jugs)= $70

Disadvantages:
smokes at shut down (not really a big deal)
have to be careful with spills, seems to damage ashphalt tarmac more then JetA/ Kero

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 10-19-2016 at 08:04 AM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.