Lets see your trainer color scheme - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #11
Newbie flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brad B

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What worked finally for me was to cover the leading edge and fore top of the wing back to the main spar with rocket red, and the underside ended up wirt blue from the spar to the trailing edge
Nice looking plane Dave. I like the added touch to the wings. Nice Website too! Very impressive
I tried flying electric but the cord kept coming unplugged!
Newbie flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

here's what my son's chum did to the plain silver cowl on my Sukhoi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000354_619.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	8888  
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice

Re: Lets see your trainer color scheme

been thru 2 recovering jobs.....my ole faithful electric....i dont think they make these anymore? hobbico elctrastar select ep.....super flyin plane!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0717.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	65158   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0715.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	65159  
edmoor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Actually my first 5 or 6 planes were all the same colour scheme, red & yellow. That way my wife thought I only had one plane...

For a biginner as you've probably been told, its a good idea to use different colours on top of the wing/fuse and on the bottom of the wing/fuse so it's easy to know what side is UP!

My first couple of trainers where actually red and yellow, very highly visible colours in the air also I used striping on top of the wing in a contrasting colour which was in the shape of a large "V" with the point of the "V" facing forward. It really helps give a new pilot directional perspective. The V points in the direction you are flying and the contrasting colour help you see it so much easier.

Sometimes you'll see a real neat colour scheme and think thats what you would like to have. Make sure they are good contrasting colour and colours that help YOU see the aircraft in the air.

Example. You might like a dark blue and Red colour scheme. When the plane gets in the air and away from you a bit, both those colours will appear black in the air and you lose the perspective. Thats why I personally like yellow and red. The red darkens in the air and the yellow lightens giving a clear contrasting perspective. Keep this in mind with the strips as well.

Just some ideas that helped me as a beginner that I hoped might help you.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

A Optometrist friend and expert photographer cautioned me about this contrast problem - in fact he suggested taking a photo of the proposed scheme, in black and white - that would show up the contrast contrast, if I may put it like that. Pretty much what Gary has said. I like red and yellow myself. Once wanted to build a nice sleek glider and cover it with all gold Monokote and call it 'Nugget' - never did but a poor choice of colour I think in retrospect.
Now call them all Uranus! (PM for explanation!)
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:

A good colour scheme will provide good visibility of the model in the air and near the ground, and it will also help the neophyte pilot easily see the orientation of the aircraft. The following scheme assumes a typical high wing trainer like a PT40 or Sig Kadet or similar that takes about 2 rolls of Monokote or other covering material.

Step 1: Pick 2 colours: A light and a dark. Good combinations include Black/Yellow, Dark Blue/Yellow, Dark Red/Yellow, Dark Red/Silver, Black/Pink, etc.
*Avoid white, light blue, brown, green and camouflage colours as they tend to disappear either against the sky when the model is up high or against the trees and landscape when the model is on final.
*Avoid chrome monokote as it tends to reflect sunlight in flashes that can be disorienting.
*Also avoid any colours that you may have problems with due to colour vision deficiencies. (i.e. if you are red/green colourblind, avoid red/green/brown colours.)

Step 2: Cover the model as follows.
Bottom of wing: the outer ~25% of each wing is in the dark colour, and the inner part is light colour.
Top of wing: All dark colour.
Tail feathers: All dark colour.
Fuselage: Use whatever is left over, usually the remaining light colour with some dark pieces for trim.

The reasoning here is that with the tail feathers in dark, the pilot can always see where the tail is. The wing will look like a dark line at high altitude when looking at the top of the wing, and like 2 patches of dark when looking at the bottom, since the middle of the bottom of the wing is in light colour along with the fuse. This really helps with the pilot's orientation, especially when the model is up very high.
John Sloan
MAAC# 7879
JohnnyS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Altho you don't like white, my LT-40 was covered in white--except for the upper right side wing half which was all flourescent orange. I never got seriously disoriented while learning to fly the thing; all I had to do was wiggle the wings and I knew exactly what was what. Appearance? Not a concern for me on a trainer. BTW, I was a very slow learner (over 50), and went through more than 10 engine mounts due to poor landings on my part. But I never "lost" the plane's orientation! (I still have it in storage.)

Good luck, Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.