GWS Dakota build up - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor

Total Props: 0
GWS Dakota build up

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I got a new project to share with you.

My Gramps used to pull wrenches On Dakotas in Burma during the latter part of the war.

He still has a few photos left. What I'd give to see all of them he once had.

Anyways I'll be mixing in some of those.

As well he has quite a few funny stories to tell. Wether there true or just stories I don't know. But there entertaining anyhow.

So as I get time I'll post what I can.

Writing down his stories will be a job in its self. But I figure its something I have wanted to do for some time for myself. And he aint getting any younger. So figured why not do it here. He is the same Granpa I mentioned before as flying in Lancasters. He told me he flew 11 missions in Lancasters as flight engineer. And theres some more stories there. Luckily for him the war ended and he was transfered off to Burma. His new job changing oil and spark plugs on Dakotas. And other things too I imagine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robbie.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	7606  
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: matt s

GWS makes a Dakota? wow I diddent know. Anyway thats a cool story about your gramps. I sew the lancaster fly and it was impressive, loud but impressive.
matteo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor

I saw the Lancaster fly at Abbotsford BC in... 84 I think. I had a view from the end of the runway it was cool watching it taxi and take off through the heat waves. Me and an uncle were sitting on my old Volvo. We had taken the trunk lid off and thrown it in the back seat. We had a 24 of beer. Man that was too much beer for sitting in the sun all day. Hmm to much beer for me period these days.

This reminds me of a story Gramps likes to tell. The Lancaster at the airshow turned on to the runway at Abots ford throttled up (as I remember it) had its tail up in no time and was up and away. Robbie remembers how the heavily loaded planes barely cleared the fence at the end of the runway. And it was a slow shallow climb.

He also remembers the plane that didn't clear the fence. Or it bellied in some time shortly after take off. Not his plane by the way. Maybe not even from his airfield. I'll have to ask him to retell it. Anyways they found the guys camped out right at the plane smoking and playing cricket. Keep in mind now this was a fully fueled plane full of high explosives. LOL I would have been way, way down the road.
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.