Taking the plunge into the RC world! Take 2!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Taking the plunge into the RC world! Take 2!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well no more deciding, changing my mind, deciding, reading another article or forum post, changing my mind etc. etc.
About 10 days ago I had posted that I was ready to resume the hobby of my younger days and was looking for some advice on the equipment I thought I would buy. Well I received quite a bit of very good and sage advice (here and on other forums) which I've listened to. I've also read much, much more and have done extensive research so that I now have what I believe to be the final combination for my first RC equipment!
Instead of my original choice of the Sig Senior I'm going with the Sig LT-40 kit. While the Senior was a good choice I think the LT-40 offers more windy day stability, a sturdier construction and ailerons.
Instead of the GMS .47 engine which was heartily not recommended by many I've opted for the Thunder Tiger Pro .46 It seems to be a well liked engine by most that have one and it's not that much more than the GMS. (mostly because I was offered a good deal on a new one right here on RC Canada from a fellow forumite
The radio shall be a Futaba 6exa computer 6 channel.
I've attended a meeting of the local RC club where I met some fine people (and where I was encouraged to go computer with the radio It is a large and well organized club so finding an instructor shouldn't be very difficult when the time comes.
So that's it... the plane, engine, glues, propeller, glow plugs, fuel filter, covering material (monokote....no need to recommend something different...I ain't changing my mind ) sealing iron, heat gun and I forget what all else has been ordered and I can't wait until it all gets here to start building. The radio gear will have to wait till next pay cheque (or maybe the one after that if I want to pay the mortgage this month )
Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to give their advice and share their experiences. I'll likely be looking for more help when the building and the flying starts!!

kelownafred is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Sounds like a great combination, I am sure you will enjoy it. Welcome back.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin
Sounds like a great combination, I am sure you will enjoy it. Welcome back.
All except for the FUtaba!

Sorry couldn't resist..... all the major brand radios these days are great.

Good luck with your re-entry into the hobby. We look forward to seeing more posts from you here on the board.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Did you also document saying good bye to family and friends on days when the flying field is calling you?? Or mowing your lawn well after dark .....

Seriously though, welcome back

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor

You are definitely going about it in the right way! You won't have any regrets- you've already found out how great the people involved with this hobby tend to be!
MAAC 50249

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.