RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg

Total Props: 0
WINGS program

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just looking for opinions on this one.

Do you think that if someone joins a new club, for example if he/she has moved, that they should have to take that clubs wings test even if they have received their wings from another club?

The reason I ask is that i've found that there is not a set standard that all clubs follow. Some clubs seem to pass pilots who realy should require either more time on the buddy box or at least having the instructor by their side.

Anyway I thoght that this would be a good topic for discussion and maybe find out what other clubs are doing about this.
Its great when your 3 year old knows the names of all your planes lol
stuntbuddie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Hi Stuntbuddie,

I often wonder about this myself.

I understand that MAAC sells the pins, etc. and I assume the program guidelines come from them and there fore should be recognized by any club affiliated with them.

I often wonder if there should be some designation with your MAAC number to identify that you have attended an approved wings program. Something like a "W" after your number, and thus on your card. This would let all clubs know you have your wings.

Just my thoughts.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Even that doesn't help. Just because I got my wings, say 10 years ago, doesn't mean I'm safe to fly now.

We don't do a "wings" test but someone will stand with a new member, show the the no-fly zones etc and talk them through their first flight.

As long as the individual is flying safely, there isn't a problem. Folks that have some serious issues around safety are spoken to and advised to speak with the CFI or Wings director. That rarely happens as most folks are honest about their abilities and don't mind asking for assistance if they are rusty or unsure.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Hi Bob,

I agree with what you said. No matter what safeguards are put into place, there will always be someone who will disregard or bend the rules.

As for a person who hasn't flown for 10 years, they have the cost of a plane and equipment at risk. They will know the costs from previous experience, and also know the likelyhood of a crash due to "rusty thumbs". Knowing this, they would most likely seek assistance before taking to the air.

We all know that not everyone will use common sense and fit in the above category, and there will be someone who won't use caution, however, the "W" behind the number would be a good starting point.

Another suggestion may be that if a person hasn't renewed their MAAC in (lets say) 3 years, then they would have to requalify for their wings.

The thought of putting a "W" behind your MAAC number would do a couple of things.

1. It will let people know that you have gone through the wings program and at least know the safety precautions.
2. There will be a central registrar at MAAC of the people who have taken the course.
3. It will advise "other" clubs (by the card with a number and "W") that you have taken the wings program - a card without a "W" would let them know you haven't taken the program and need to be supervised for at least the first flight.

I would also suggest there would be a "grandfathering" in of current pilots, and the program would become in effect a year latter.

Again, just my thoughts.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Bob.........if everyone follows the Wings program as outlined by the MAAC site ( first stage)........the basic flying disciplines should be good enough for a flyer to fly at another field. That is the takeoff, land, procedure turn, dead stick, maybe a loop and all the safety rules on the ground including freq. check, etc...and if the instructors at the guys original field were worthy instructors..and has a valid MAAC card,and understands the latest MAAC regulations, then I see no problem.
But then again, if he had no previous club and was flying on his own in some cornfield..or booted out of another club...then I would ask for certification.

P.S. has a downloadable wings program....yet it appears to me, that by the time you get to the last stage.....yer flying like Mike Clemmons

Ron Harway
Sun Parlor R/C Flyers, Inc.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Wings program

What Wings? I've been flying r/c for nearly 40 years, control line before that, still fly freeflight, and I still don't have my Wings. Worse, I won't ever need a reason to get 'em either.

I have seen some big flaws in the program, and until they are addressed, I see it as a waste of time. If you go to a new field and need help, youi should get it without difficulty. If they need you to "prove yourself", a simple cursory inspection of the model, and a solo flight with an instructor should clear you for participation, nothing else. I've seen MAAC wings on some pretty bad pilots with pretty big egos ; I simply don't fly with them.

Sure, there has to be a system in place, but the MAAC program needs work IMHO.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I would like to see the wings program more widely employed. Not because I want see if I am "as good as", or "better than" another member, but simply as a yardstick to assess my own skill level against.

I also have no problem with the chief Instructor (or his/her designate) at another club standing by my elbow and seeing that I know what I am doing before I am turned loose at their field.

Further, I feel a person should be checked out as they move on to faster, quicker acting aircraft to ensure they are not going beyond their abilities. Just because I am a safe and competent flyer with my SIG LT-40 doesn't give me the ability to handle a 40% EDGE with a great honking engine in aerobatic fashion.

I feel if I show up with an aircraft that is well beyond what I normally fly someone should have the right to call me on it and make certain I am not over my head.

There's my 2 cents.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dale I

Each club in Canada is private and in being such has the right to ask any person to prove that they are able to fly. Standards are different at each club and just because a person meets them at one club does not mean they meet them at all fields. I think its a safety thing. A person may be able to fly a trainer at their old club but show up at my club with an extra 300. Thats got to be dealt with.

Fun is fun, but safety comes first.
Hey Buddy, thats a Kadet not an Extra!!!
Dig it is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I don't have a problem being asked to prove my abilities are what I claim them to be. In fact I look at that as the club being proactive as far as safety. Simply ask what their requirements are for wings certification then have one of the instructors stand with you and fly for them. Simple and no hard feelings for anyone. It also shows your easy to get along with and as interested in safety as the rest of the members.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gregg L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I would like to put forward a thought which we are looking at in our club,using the complete program ,all the levels with instruction.People will be able to challenge the test at any level.The thinking behind this is again the bloody insurance.We are looking at being pro active against the day when the insurance industry asks us for proof of competency,much like they do for other clients that operate things requiring skill

Started with nothing,got most of it left
MAAC 11800
Inroad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.