just plane old stuppid - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This is indeed a very unfortunate incident that should NEVER have happened I know for a fact that the AMA is aware of it, and will be somehow dealing with it...

I believe they should make an example out of this incident, and ground the pilot from flying for a period of time, while he has a chance to consider what a stupid thing he has done...

Time will tell if that actually happens...
Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I think the amazing part of this whole thread is that there are so many people actually agreeing with Randy on this!!!

The video show an awsome display of precision and control of such a large aircraft. That the pilot really knows how to handle the sticks is very obvious!

However, that being said, I too have to agree with Randy and the other comments regarding the safety of this display of awsome controlled stupidity!! I've been a mechanic most of my life and have a good understanding of how things work. Its not the pilot, obviously, thats called into question here as far as his ability to control the aircraft goes!
At any given moment, a mechanical falure is highly possible! AS Ron points out, we saw the video of the large plane losing control and crashing as a result of a "burp" in the engine at a critical moment! Is he a good pilot? Yes, no doubt! But no one can predict this happening or can say with absolute assurance that its not going to happen!

In my opinion, a pilot has to be somewhat fearless and cocky of his own abilities to even attempt this type of flying with so many people and obsticles in such close proximity. Along with that goes the attitude that "It won't happen to me!" And as has already been mentioned also, is the FACT that it did happen resulting in very serious accidents, just a few short months ago!! Not to this pilot or any people here, but it did happen and I am sure that pilot didn't think it would happen to him either! You would think that this pilot would have this in mind before attempting to do such an irresponsible display.....and have it taped and posted on the web for everyone to see! What was he thinking? Oh yeah, I just told you that, didn't I?

I can understand wanting to have fun and showing off your plane, its and your capabilities. And as someone who does not fly 3-D, I do appreciate the skill that it takes to do this type of flying! Its very thrilling to watch some of these increadable displays of aerobatics with such huge planes that literally seem to defy the laws of gravity! But it has to be done so as not to risk life and limb and with an appreciation and understanding of the mechanics involved. Anything mechanical can crap out at any unexpected moment, even dispite the most diligent checks trying to assure a falure will not happen!

As an instructor I try to impress one main thought into the minds of the students that I instruct. I know you've heard me say this many times in the past but its worth emphasizing over and over again! I tell each and every student: "You are putting a lot of effort, time and money in learning to fly, to become a competitant RC Pilot. This is, in my opinion, the best hobby/sport in the world. Enjoy it, have fun, meet and make new friends. Pay attention and learn and be the best that you can be. However if you remember nothing else, remember this one thing: NO one expects you to be one of the best pilots in this club, but you are expected to be one of safests! Of anything that you learn in the course of your training, first and foremost, at all times, is SAFETY!

I do hope that this person has, at least, been given a wake up call to always be safety conscious and before ever even thinking of doing anything like this again, to look ahead and consider the possible consequences of his actions! He is a very proficient pilot for sure, but there is more to being a GOOD pilot than just being able to control his airplane! Being a good pilot, he will look at his abilities as a responisbility and an obligation to set a proper example to all those who look up to him!

Safety is something we should want to always discuss. It can never be emphasised too often or too much! Good thread Randy, and thanks for sharing this with us, giving us an opportunity to discuss this matter of safety!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Some people just think they are exempt from the rules, and above the law, and don't seem to realize the laws of physics and gravity are not up for suspension or repeal. Amazes me how some folk can be so cavalier.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #14
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Actully the person who was grabbing the rudder should be getting a slap on the hand also because they have broken the saftey rule for AMA just as well as the flyer

Originally Posted by 50%300SFlyer
This is indeed a very unfortunate incident that should NEVER have happened I know for a fact that the AMA is aware of it, and will be somehow dealing with it...

I believe they should make an example out of this incident, and ground the pilot from flying for a period of time, while he has a chance to consider what a stupid thing he has done...

Time will tell if that actually happens...
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: James B

MAAC - 64494

Bisson Custom Mufflers
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice

Did some one save de video, because is not any more on that address.
MAAC: 69663
Fritz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike S

Where can we see this video? The links appears to be broken
MikeSac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

I can host it here for a little bit. Right click and save as. http://www.freepgs.com/bradyflys/JRChallenge.wmv
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
RCC Contributor

I hope that video was not shot in Canada!!

MAAC seems to have enough issues on their hands. Probably the less that video gets around the better.

Joe Di Profio Jr

MAAC 70927

"Am I Inverted.....Oh Crap!!"
jdiprofio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.