RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Jay D
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
ASP Engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just wondering if anyone use them..... Some people say they are junk.. but I have had many many of thier 2 strokes and was very pleased. The new super series 2 strokes they make have huge power and now all CNC machined for that refined look some people have to have..... The old style did have a full draw issue but was only caused by the carb venturi being too big, so the air velocity was too slow to draw properly... but hell do they make great power.... whats your thoughts?.....
Jay Dickson
MAAC# 72371
Jay D is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Moe N.

I have 3 ASP engines, all the old series two 46's, a 75 and an ASP carb on my GMS 47. They keep me happy, and so do my Enya 61 Four Stroke, my OS 61 four stroke and my Thunder Tiger .07 & 25 GP well the .07 doesn't seem to want to idle to well but maybe it just needs a new plug. I;ll have to buy it one soon I think.

Salutations from the Pacific North WET!

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Charlie L.

I used an ASP61 2 stroke on a rather heavy trainer. Plenty of power and reliability. The only glitch was the origional carb gave out(barrel actually seized). Replaced the carb with an OS and ran beautifully. Pretty good for a so-called cheap Chinese engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_009_535.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	8416  
Charles Lockyer
Hr.Grace, NL
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Oti Oteri

I'd say I agree with what you all said. I have 3 (two 46s and one 53) work fine
Ejiro is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
RCC Contributor

I had (briefly) a brand-new ASP 91S. It never ran right, even with the input of the distributor, from the UK, and several of the guys at our field who have been running glow engines just about as long as I've been alive. After some research, I bought an MVVS 91 and was amazed at how it handled the power it produced and the quality of the engine. As impressive as this engine is, there was not an affordable way to purchase MVVS engines in Canada at the time so I arranged to import them direcly from the manufacturer. So far all of the engines I have run have lived up to the intial impression made by my first .91. Good Stuff!
David Moen
Salmon Arm, B.C.
MVVS Canada
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

I haven't seen any for a couple of years now, but we had 3 75's at our field. One was an absolute power house..easly to start, could lug it down with huge props; the second was nearly, but not quite as powerful, but started easily; The third was a dog..had a 50/50 chance that it would even start, nobody at the field could get a needle valve setting that it liked and probably a dozen people tried to set it up....

I suspect the variance was due to quality control issues. Not a bad engine, but not the best.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

I have had 100% good experience and success with ASP. I have the following.

ASP61 2 stroke. Very powerful, reliable, a bit rich in the mid-range and transtion. Have to be careful when throttling up.

ASP91 4 stroke. a GREAT engine all around. a bargain purchase price. Waiting to see how the longevity is compared to my Saitos

ASP61 4 stroke. this one is new to me. haven't really run it up much yet but it looks to be a good engine as well. it is going into my Great Planes 40 sized Super Cub conversion.

ASP is OK by my experience
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
Kelly W
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 5
I had a 75 for ~8 years of solid abuse in a CG Chipmunk... The original was quite leaky, difficult to tune, would not shut off (when you wanted it to that is...), etc... It turned out to be a real workhorse as soon as I put an OS 61 carb on it. The engine itself had pretty good manufacturing, as apposed to the carb. Material-wise, I don't know if its quite comparable to an OS per say, since this engine ended its life with a busted con-rod. I've never had an OS throw a rod, but for the price the ASP worked out better than I expected... In its defence, I think it was over-revving on a 3-blade prop when it let go.

In the end, I'd probably buy another if I wanted a 75... I got my money's worth out of it so it didn't owe me anything more. Its since been replaced by an OS 91 2-cycle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toasted_asp75.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7762  
Kelly Williams - 59082L
MAAC Jet Committee Chairman
JPO Member , 2L club member
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4
ASP engines

I have an ASP 40AS, bought in 97. Has over 150 flights on it, and admittedly needs some work. This engine has worked good from day one, turns up 12,600 with a MA 10x6, and about 9400 with an APC 11x7, and has hauled around my Skyward 40 quite well. It's only quirk is not being able to get it shut off with the throttle trim (yes it was properly adjusted).

Would I buy another ASP? Probably yes.

MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3
i have ASP 91 red head on my GP skybolt endless vertical
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.