Just getting started - what airplane - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Just getting started - what airplane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quick question for everyone - I'm just getting started. What airplane should I start with? (Doesn't matter if it's a kit or an arf)
Poelzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

IMHO Hobbico Nexstar is the best trainer on the market.
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

Hi Poelzer,

INMO...I think the old Kadet LT40 is still an awesome bang for your buck. It is big, stable and cost effective. It is also very robust and can take some thumping around. I learned on one last year...got my wings in about 4 weekends and progressed on to a Florio and a Super Chipmunk in the same year. It taught me well. I would contribute my modest success to the confidence that the LT40 gave me. I am sure that the Nexstar is a great plane, but I KNOW first hand how well the Kadet worked for me.

Joe Di Profio Jr

MAAC 70927

"Am I Inverted.....Oh Crap!!"
jdiprofio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Flyin High
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob S

Personally if I had to do it all over again, I would pick Chris's selection...The Nexstar. It's like a few hundred dollars... but you get absolutly everything! Plus the 1 crash guarentee
Flyin High is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

The crash guarentee i believe is only for USA but it comes with everything even a sim to practice on while you wait till spring of to go home and work on the things you did at the field today. This year I am going to be instructing people and if my students have a nexstar i would really encourage them to go home and practice what they learned on the sim
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

The Kadet is the trainer of choice here... It has a long track history. I learned on an Eagle II and that is the last trainer I would recommend....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
Ogre Stebbings
RCC Noob

I also like the Kadet but there is a plane called the alpha which I believe comes with radio and engine not sure on cost but they are a nice flying trainer
Ogre Stebbings is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor

Sig LT40, kit if you want to build or ARF if you don't. Gentle trainers which are also very fun sport fliers. Very well designed. The ARF is actually cheaper than building the kit by the time you buy the covering etc. The LT40 is a PROVEN design. No one that I know of who has bought/learned to fly with one has had any regrets.
MAAC 50249

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -3
If you're on a budget I have a spadet that I built for myself to learn with that I'll give you, just pay for shipping. It flew slow and was very stable.(Here's a link to it, http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm , just go to trainers and look for the spadet). I got about 10 flights on it and then it ate dirt no thanks to an aileron linkage that let go. However, the damage is very minor and can be repaired in a couple hours for about $10.00. I'll throw in the landing gear and fuel tank as well. I went straight from this plane to a 3D unit without any problems. One thing that also helped me was a couple free flight sims that I downloaded (I can give you links). All you need is the interface cable which I can sell you for cheap ($10.00) as long as the radio you get has the same plug. If you're interested let me know, I can send pics if you like. There are no strings attatched here, the plane is just taking up space as I'll never use it again, and I bought the AFPD sim. It's just nice to help someone get started in the hobby.
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:18 AM   #10
Ken W
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ken W

I thought I may a well stir the pot a bit, how about the Astro Hog.I find most trainers get bounced around by the wind and you can forget about taxiing in anything over a 15 to 20 mph wind.
They are durable,cheap and you can use a wide variety of engines on it.
Ken W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.