RCM March/April Issue??? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can't disagree with you, Brit-brat.

I wish all this stuff was available 25 yrs ago!!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I will admit, I dont often re read a magazine (and I subscribed to many - over 7 for a few years but now I am back to 3) purchased in the past few years - unlike the old RCM's and MAN's from the 60's, 70's and into the 80's which I find myself often reading for the umpteenth time. I remember vividly dealing with less than satisfactory radio equipment, engines and even model kits (which I had to redesign/re engineer to get flying) in my 20+ yrs flying rc.

The thing for me is I do not want, nor do I, live in the past. Yes, the model magazines may (to some) have been more interesting with more construction and how to articles as opposed to todays topics of arf reviews and others, but they must cater to the wants of the majority to survive.

Its funny, many people think that the model magazines GUIDE the readership on what modeling is ablut.... NOT! Its the READERSHIP THAT GUIDES THE MAGAZINES! If no one is interested in reading about the current arf/engine/radio reviews and such, do you think that they would be buying the magazines? I wouldnt and I certainly dont think others would either unless they were getting something back for their $$.

Modelers today are rewarded with top quality engines (seldom a lemon IMO exists today, most brands are run worthy and without fault) excellent and super reliable and user friendly radio systems that offer power and precision only dreampt of a few years ago... and the new arf's are outstanding. And for the ones who like kits... well, companies continue to release new kits wether you believe it or not. SImply looking through the magazines you will see ads for new kits throughout the year from both large and small companies.

I dont think it was "better" 5, 10 or 15 or 20 yrs ago than it is now - I had an immense amount fo fun trying to build and fly planes back then as I do today and as I hope to do 20 yrs from now. Enjoy the hobby as you would like to - a model magazine should not, in the end, make or break the hobby for you. If you do not like ARF's you can certainly still purchase balsa and scratch build your own designs, or build kits, etc.

Just have fun!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Albert P.

Total Props: 0
This e-mail expresses my feelings regarding the magazines currently available. Let's leave the name of the guilty unknown.
I have received already two letters enticing me to renew my subscription to XXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXX much before it expires. I let it wait until I had time to think if I wanted to renew because I was getting less and less happy with what I read in it and wanted to find a way to put a finger in my feelings.
Finally, I decided to see what I was getting in your magazine for what I paid. Mind you, I hail from Canada and each issue costs me US$ 3.77, whether I subscribe for one or two years.

This is what I found:
Nov. 04 Dec. 04 Jan. 05
Number of pages (incl. covers) 156 172 204
Contents, Editorial and reader's mail 3 3 3
Articles and construction, no brand 20 21 17
New Products or Product watch 4 12 16
Articles regarding a Brand Product 29 27 28
Advertising 100 109 140

I am not happy the way the articles regarding a Brand Product (construction and flying mostly) evolved lately. There was little criticism before but now is completely absent. Criticism does not mean the product is bad but lack of it (when later you find the problem by yourself) means the reviewer is bad. And then you stop trusting the reviewer and the medium carrying the review.
I also want to point that there few general articles of interest to the hobby enthusiast. Mostly it refers to products, products, products.
The high point of what I am referring here is the recent article about RealFlight G3. High praise, no specifics. The fact that no helicopters are included until much later was not even mentioned...

A short list of good articles lately: glow plugs, preflight setup, etc.

I am not going into electric planes because it still seems to be high voodoo. Why not make a series of articles about motors, batteries, propellers, their relationship to different planes (weight, size) and how to calculate conversion of glow planes to electric power?

You are not catering to the hobbyist anymore, just to the manufacturers.
Sorry, no renewal...
This magazine is part of a large Hobby conglomerate. I do not see the reason I have to pay to read it, they should send it free. Furthermore, when I am planning to buy a product I consult this and other forums. The true hobbysts know when they see something right or wrong and say it. I cannot trust their reviews... they even eliminated the customary "Hits and misses".
Conversely, I happened to read an issue of RC Report and found a reversal of the trend I mention above. Advertising, yes, and also well written articles, fun to read, saying things like they are, etc. Hope it continues because I am planning to subscribe.
Which brings me to RC Canada... hope to find it honest and on the level...

I do my own internal reviews with my dollars... talk about commited!
Once my hands and knees stop shaking I take the planes out of the car.
beto9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bill H

Total Props: 1
I agree with your point of view. My subscription to the same mag became no more for the same reasons. This was after decades of faithful readership. Now I look through the index of each magazine each month at the local news stand (great selection) to find what is of "value to me".

If the editorials of more products were more "constructively" critical of the item being reviewed it would benefit everyone and mostly the producer of the item in long run, you're doing no one a favor by positively reinforcing a negative attribute.
ModelBuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.