can any one help me - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
can any one help me

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi i am new to the whole nitro rc thing and i just bought my self a used nitro car and it runs and every thing buy i think its idleing to high and i looked on the hpi site to figure how to turn down the idle but the wheels keep spinning and the only way it will stop is if i hold the brake and then it still idles high so i was just wondering if any one could help me out a bit thx
***mike*** is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor

carb settings...

Hello Mike. Welcome to the rc hobby!

Well i myself have a nitro buggy with a Fantom FR.15 engine. I'm not sure what engine you have but i think on all buggy engines, there is a screw on the carburetor that will determine how far the carburetor barrel will slide/rotate (depending on if it's a slide carburetor or a rotating carburetor) towards the off position. What you need to do is find where this screw is (the manual to your engine should say this or if you don't have the manual, go to the manufacturer's website and download a manual) and turn it a few turns with the engine running. You will either hear the engine speed up or slow down. If it speeds up, turn it in the opposite direction until it will idle reliably without trying to spin the wheels.
MAAC #50437
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Without knowing the engine type or car model, we'll assume you have a nitro star .15, so the first place to look might be here:

*If you can find your model's documentation on their website, of course use those settings, but here's a good starting point if you can't.*
When you take off the air intake/filter you will see the opening that lets the air into the carb. This opening should usually be about 1mm wide when your throttle is fully closed. Next, the "mixture control screw" or low speed setting should be flush with its casing. When you screw it in completely (not too tight just when you feel resistance) and then unscrew it about 3 turns, that should bring you to that 'safe' factory setting. Once it's set up this way, try and start it up (put the air filter back on first, of course...) If it doesn't start up, then you can slowly turn the throttle stop screw (to make that air intake opening slightly wider) until it does start, and then adjust so that the engine idles without engaging the wheels. You might need to let the engine warm up a bit before making the final settings.

At that point you'll need to get into full blown fuel mixture tuning based on amount of visible exaust both at idle and full throttle. Important thing to remember is that to be safe, make sure you ALWAYS see at least a little smoke (not TOO much), even at idle. You'll usually find something called "break-in settings" in engine documentation, that is considered a safe setting. if you don't see any smoke, then your engine might not be getting enough fuel/lubrication, and it will get damaged.

If your idle speed is properly set but the wheels still spin when no throttle is applied, the the problem is probably in the clutch area (seized bearings or something of that type). then you'll have to remove the engine from the car and take the clutch bell off and check it out.
Hope this helps!
WARNING: "Mountain Berry Windex" tastes NOTHING like mountain berries!!!!
MonkeyChow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.