Li Po Battery fix.. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Li Po Battery fix..

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a 3S1P 1100mah Li Po battery pack I discharged to about 6v. My charger didn't recognize it because it was below 9v. I was told to connect a 12v source to it (pos to pos & neg to neg) just a few seconds at a time until it read over 9v. I then connected it to the Apache charger and it seemed to charge properly. I tested it and it read slightly over 12v. Once I put it in my foamy, if I go full throttle, it cuts out after less than 2 seconds. I check the voltage and it's still over 11v. I double checked and my esc is set to cut off at 9V and it does work properly with my other battery which is the same type.

Is there a charger out there that can fix this battery problem?

Is that battery now useless?

These batteries are rated at a 10C discharge rate. If I buy some rated at 15C discharge and use the same ESC and Motor, can this be an issue or is it just widening the safety gap?

ctrn8insp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

a 3 cell pack that is discharged to 6V is most likely going to be toast regardless of what you do to it afterwards. Putting a lipo directly to a 12V source was probably a bad idea. Lipos don't take kindly to fast charging like that.

Probably just putting it on a regular charger at low rate to bring it up would have been a better option, or trying the 2 cell feature on the charger.

I'm surprised your batts didnt puff up and ignite. (And I'm not normally a doom and gloom person when it comes to Lipos, but that is really abusing them)

I suggest getting a proper low voltage cuttoff for your batts. What is your setup? How long did you fly for? Why did it drop to 6V? As it stands, you over discharged your batteries, and now they aren't performing. The question is if the setup is right, or you just flew for too long.

rdespins is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
RCC Noob

This was my first li poly electric combo. The cutoff was set to 5v. at first. Now it's ok. I have it set to 9v. I was just wondering if I could salvage this battery.

It's a complete package I got from
Himax 2015-4100 brushless motor with Castle Creations Phoenix 25 speed control.
Hitec Electron 6 FM receiver with (4) HS-55 servos. Etec 1200 mah 11.1v, 10C LiPo battery pack

What is the best charger with the most options for Li Poly out there?

Any answers on the other questions of the initial post?

Old 04-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

There are lots of charger choices. You'll have to narrow it down a bit with your overall requirements and budget.

Gosh. Sorry to hear about your situation. Ron has provided good advice. The advice you received to connect the pack to an unregulated 12V source was more than a bad idea, it was dangerous.

Your batteries are almost certainly permanently damaged. When they say LiPos have strict voltage limits they mean it. You just can't let the voltage of the pack got that low.

I can't imagine off hand how batteries with higher discharge current capability could help unless the batteries were damaged by exceeding the safe discharge rate.

rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Chargers are like anything else. You can get very expensive ones with all the bells and whistles or just simple fairily inexpensive ones that will do what you need!

I have two chargers that will charge Li-Pos and Li-Ion batteries. One is the Triton that will charge just about any type of battery pack sold but its rather expensive at aroung $180 and there is quite a learning curve to use it properly. Until you get on to it, it could be easy to input an incorrect value and thats something you DON'T want to do with Li-Polys

I just purchased a dedicated Li-Poly charger while in Toledo. Its a Thunder Power TP-425 Lithium/Polymer Charger. Its 1 5/8" wide X 4" Long and 5/8 inches thick and weighs only a couple of ounces. I paid $50 USD for it. Its quite a neat little charger. I've used it a couple of times now, it works great and is so simple to use. Has three buttons that light corresponding LEDs. One is to sellect the number of cells from 1 to 4. The second is to set the charge rate: 0.3A - 0.5A - 0.8A - 1.3A - 2.0A and 2.50A. The third button is to Start/Stop Charging!

So all you do is set the number of cell, sellect the charge rate and hit the start button. The charge light is flashing blue. When the charge is complet it turns to a steady green and gives a series of beeps. Thats it!

In the instructions that came with this charger, it says to never charge Li-polys more than 1.C. So to set the charge rate, select the number that is closest to the rated capacity of the pack without going over that number and your charge will be done properly and safely!

Thats it. Simple - Effective - and most importantly Safe! It is limited of course in that it can only charge one pack at a time and it can only charge packs up to 2.5 Amps or 2500mA. I saw no personal need for any more than that so for me this is an excellent charger at an affordable price!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
RCC Noob

Thanks for the info.
Maybe the charger I have is all I really need. I just have to make sure I don't over-discharge.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

Your setup is fine, just properly dispose of your ruined pack and get a new one. Set your LVC to 9V and have a great time. Also try and read up on LiPos on RCGroups battery section (sorry rccanada). They have some nice stickies on top that have great info. Also make sure you charge y our LiPos in a safe container (old ammo box, or small safe, or plop em in a glass dish with a ziplock filled with sand on top of em.)

Any charger that does NOT auto detect the cells or amperage and meant for LiPos is fine regardless of cost.
rdespins is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave

Just bought a Triton. So far, so good. I quick question. How would you set it up fo a 11.1V 1200ma lipo?
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Guys please read this document, and be careful with Lipo's.....

Electrics are what I call engineered setups, they need to be well thought out and planned, incorrect/uniformed choices will cause problems, its not a like glow setup where you throw on the wrong prop and oh well. Take time and learn as much as you can about how to properly set up your power system.

Lipo's are great power sources for electrics and are not dangerous if handled properly. However they do not tolerate mistakes like Nicd's do, they do require complete attention at all times....they can and will start fires if not treated properly.

Treated right they will give you good long lasting performance!

Sorry to sound like a preacher but I read the part about hooking a lipo to a 12V source and just about fell off my chair. Whoever told you that should be corrected before they give that advice again and someone has a fire on their hands.

Chad Northeast
Team Apogee
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

charger choices

As far as a charger goes, when I got into electric I was looking for something that would be LiPo capable without having to dish out a whole bunch of cash. In addition I already had the main Accu-Cycle for my NiCd and NiMh, but I did not yet have a field charger or a charger with peak capabilities.

So I went for this:
I have been using the Hobbico Field Charger MKII for my LiPo batteries and for topping of my NiMh packs at the field before flying. It has served me excellently.

Now I am seriously looking at the "Elite" version.
That little baby will do EVERYTHING I need in a charger/cycler, including field charging. It will do two packs simultaneously. AND it is all in one little box. If I picked that one up I will have to sell my Accu-Cycle and MKII field charger as they just would not get used any more.

Yes, there is a huge selection of chargers out there. But the "little bit" that I have been looking has led me to the Elite. Imagine having it all in only one device.

Someone more experienced in electrics may have additional comments to make and I would be anxious to see them.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.