Repairing ABS parts... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Repairing ABS parts...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Something that I experimented with this afternoon, that turned out rather well, so I thought I would share it..

The subject is an ABS wheel fairing from a Citabria. It had got torn off the landing gear and some of the pieces were missing. (the white area is where I sanded the black paint off the ABS) The one photo shows the jigsaw puzzle of putting the salvaged pieces back together The big large piece was missing and was cut out of a drain pipe (Scrap from my Spad) after tracing it out from the hole. A dremel tool and snips were used to more or less match the contour of the hole. Ca holds everything together.
To strengthen this, I glued a larger flat piece of drain pipe material on the inside of the wheel pant.

The other photo shows the bottom of the wheel fairing is curved inwards towards the wheel. Careful use of the hot air gun softend the patch material up so that it could follow the contour of the bottom edge. it was CA'ed and clamped. After it everything was dried, the excess was trimmed off with the dremel, and sanded. The extra thickness of ABS has made it incredibly strong now. A little filler, and it is ready to be repainted and installed back on the aircraft...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1479_129.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	8427   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1478_470.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	8428  

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #2
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Good tips.

Another is that I have used Acetone successfully to "weld" abs parts together as opposed to using CA. Have done this for assembling kit parts as well as similar repairs to what you have done with your wheel pant. Typically on cowls. The weld seems to be alot stronger and hold alot longer than CA. The CA is a little stiffer than the ABS and tends to crack away at or next to the glued joint(s).

Nice repair job. Looks good and tough now.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Looks good Nony

Another product that works exceptionally well for this and other types of plastic is a product called "Resonbond" It actually slightly soften the edges and allows the material to totally weld itself together and when it dries your left with a perfectly repaired part. Just another thought!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks guys.. I didn't espect things to turn out as well as they did, otherwise I would have taken some before shots so you would see what little I had to work with....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.