Hitec trainer switch - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Hitec trainer switch

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It took 7 years, but I finally have a complaint about my Prism7X.
This past weekend I was hooking things up to conduct a training session on the Kadet with my 6 year old. The trainer switch on the Prism didn't feel quite right so things came to a halt. Fortunately this was before any flying took place.

After some exploratory surgery on the tail gate of the truck I discovered that the guts of the trainer switch had damage. There is a little plastic tab on the end of the pin inside the switch. The tab was broken. So the switch was very unreliable. I am glad I found it. This was an impending "radio failure" crash waiting to happen. The switch would easily stick which would not allow me to regain control of the aircraft. It could have easilly triggered on a normal flight of one of my other planes, causing loss of control and subsequent kabooms.

In the end, I ended up performing tranplant surgery on the tailgate. I took the guts of the switch out of the Focus4 buddy box and put them into the Prism switch. We then enjoyed the rest of the afternoon flying/training with no events.

Whew. Dodged that one.

I will be replacing both of the switches with a decent quality one from the local electronics store (probably radio shack). That trainer switch provided is cheap. Keep an eye on yours people. Check it and replace it.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Claude wrote: "That trainer switch provided is cheap. Keep an eye on yours people. Check it and replace it."

Man, your a tough customer there Claude! I would say that after 7 years of faithful service this radio owes you nothing! I've seen a lot of expensive high end top quality equipment fail in a lot less than 7 years my friend. How much tosseling around has that radio received over the years? If it were me, I would be saying....Thankyou Hitec for such a great piece of equipment...first time in seven whole years that one of the parts failed.

If I may ask, how many times in this 7 years have you taken the back off your radio and checked out the inner components? I do mine before the start of every flying season. The new Multiplex EVO radios have quick disconnects so that the user is incouraged to remove the cover and check the insides of the radio because after time, wires rub case parts and each other and can frey, things do become lose and need to be tightened etc. That should be a part of regular radio maintenance!

Anyway, you were on the ball and found the problem before it became serious and thats a very good thing! Any kind of toggle switch failure is a very common occurance in most all radio systems. Check out Kevin McGrath's first comment in the thread that is in the link below!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Please do not mis-interpret my post. ALL of my equipment is Hitec. Top notch. I converted from Futaba to Hitect 11 years ago. Never a problem -- except for "almost" recently.

If you look, it took me 7 years to find something worth complaining about. I am very happy with my equipment. So YES. This is actually a "THANK-YOU", and "KUDOS" to you Hitec for a product that has served me very well. When looking for radio equipment, I do not consider anything else.

I was simply pointing out that the trainer toggle switch is a weak point and needs to be checked/replaced. Apparently, by Gary's link - toggle switches are a more common problem than I was aware of. So I guess my post just re-iterates what is already widly known. My apologies for using up bandwith regarding knowledge of an already common problem.

Nonetheless, I will not be replacing with an OEM switch. It will be either an industrial toggle switch or the simple push button type switch. Where you have to push and hold to give the trainee control.

As far as how often did I have the back cover off? Four times to look around. Those plus this recent one due to the toggle switch makes five.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
I would stay with the toggle switch as a push button gets harder to keep pushing over the 10min+ flight time. I have heard many instructors complain about the push buttons.

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

The buttons aren't bad when the student is new because you never have it depressed for that long. However, once they become competent, then the 7 - 10 minute is a real pain the finger. Now, I know why my instructors used to complain.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.