Canada SWEEPS SAE Aero design open class in East + West!!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Kelly W
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 5
Canada SWEEPS SAE Aero design open class in East + West!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys!

I just returned from Dallas yesterday, where I participated as a pilot for the University of British Columbia in the 'SAE Aero Design West 05' competition.

First, for those that haven't already seen the earlier thread... The East competition was held a few weeks ago in Florida and was won by a 1st time entry team from Windsor, Ontario! Please see this link for the list of awards received by this 3-student team and Dennis Pratt as the pilot. (Propworn here on RCCanada) Simply outstanding work... Link

As a follow up this past weekend, the West competition was held in Fort Worth Texas at the 'Fort Worth Thunderbirds field'.

Our team arrived early Thursday after driving ~40 hours continuously from Vancouver. We went out on Friday to run a last test flight but ran into major fuel starvation problems. It didn't look good initially, but we got the engine (a BSE Fire 76L by Dub Jett) dealt with just in time! Our first flight on Saturday had a payload of 41.8lb and all was well until landing. The right side undercarriage fractured and the wheel broke off, voiding the flight score. We replaced the carbon gear leg and repeated the 41.8lb flight in the next round, moving UBC past Mississippi and into 1st place by the end of Saturday!

On Sunday, the guys went for a big lift right away. We loaded 48.9lb into the 'Jenny' and installed a custom reworked 15" Bolly prop for higher thrust. This prop was 1" larger than the APC 14x4's we had used up till now and we were reserving it for the big loads since we only had 1 and it had marginally better thrust on the test bench. On takeoff roll, the nose got a little low and the prop nicked the ground, but I gave it full throttle and went for it anyway! It lifted off within the 200ft limit and the climbed out surprisingly well for a plane with a damaged and likely imbalanced prop! I brought the aircraft in a little hot with full spoilerons (~35 degrees up on both ailerons) and within the 400 ft limit so the score counted! One competitor had crashed trying to surpass this lift with a 55lb flight, losing it in their turn onto final approach.

We then loaded ~58lb of lead in to the aircraft and got in line for the final round. On paper, the aircraft could do it, so we were ready for the attempt if necessary. As it ended up, the other remaining teams didn't post any threatening lifts in the final round so we decided not to risk it, although it sure would have been a rush from the pilot's perspective!!!

Anyhow, end result... UBC placed first in open class and also won the award for most weight lifted in the event! Canada has SWEPT the open class SAE East and West competitions for the first time, and hopefully not the last!!!

On behalf of the UBC team, I'd like to express their thanks to the following sponsors:
Creo Inc (, recently purchased by Eastman Kodak)
Aerial Innovations
Norburn Hobbies (
Hiflight RC (
Loctite Canada / Hysol adhesives (
Pitt Meadows Airport (

Congratulations to both universities, UBC and U of Windsor Ontario, on this truly incredible achievement!!!

PS: photos to follow, but for now have a look at this link for shots from Saturday. link Our plane 'Jenny' is the blue and yellow one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3547s_475.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	8661   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3578s_181.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	8662   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3586s_160.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	8663  
Kelly Williams - 59082L
MAAC Jet Committee Chairman
JPO Member , 2L club member
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:56 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
Canada sweeps

A double header.I guess we can call that a right left bunch from Canada.Terrific job and a hardy well done to the UBC team for showing,along with the eastern team,that we have what it takes.Who said that cold winter nights affects the brain.
Well done guys!
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Congrats Kelly and the UBC team.
R/C really seems to be a Canadian sport.
The U.S. seem to have the money to make them look pretty, But Canada makes them functional......

Congrats to Dennis and the Univerity of Windsor team.

Good work guys ---- oh and gals
Rob Harway
Sun Parlor Flyers
Windsor, Ontario

"Artificial Intelligence is no substitute for Natural Stupidity"
Rammer64 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:02 AM   #4
RCC Contributor

AWESOME JOB!! Well done to all involved.....

Joe Di Profio Jr

MAAC 70927

"Am I Inverted.....Oh Crap!!"
jdiprofio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

Congrats to you and your team, Kelly.....!!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
All thumbs up!!

Way to go guys!
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

Makes ya proud to be a Canuck eh? Nice goin byes.
Never take life seriously -- nobody gets out alive
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.