Enya 60 4 stroke plus Waco YMF.3 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

Total Props: 0
flying the bipe

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Go very easy on the throttle when taking off, you WILL have to correct with the rudder, watch your speed in turns, there is a lot more drag there than yuo are used too, (unless you have flown bipes) When landing carry a bit of speed till you are over the end of the runway then drop your throttle, yuhave a very nice plane there, i always wanted one Good luck with it i am sure you will be happy
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Looks great! You just need to mount a turbine to the bottom of the fuse and you will be like the Masters of Disaster!(awesome show btw)
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Terry L
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora

Are you sure this is a Dave Platt Waco and not a Pica Waco?
canadagoose is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dennis P

Here's a review of the ENYA FS 60 by Peter Chinn in the June '83 RCM&E

(Hover the mouse over image then use the zoom button)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enya-60fs-1_112.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	8746   Click image for larger version

Name:	enya-60fs-2_517.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	8747  
"Simplicate and add lightness"
DP01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Ahhh thanks guys, all the help is excellent. Thanks for the review Dennis, sounds like a keeper of an engine
I know it is a Dave Platt kit because I also received the original box and plans
I sure am excited to fly this one! I do have lots of tail dragger experience but no bi plane time
Is there any one maneuver that would be considered impossible or "stupid" to see this plane do? I really want it to fly scale!
I see spins & loops and the booklet refers to flat spins as well, but rolls are not good! Stall turns would probably be ok to, no?
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:35 AM   #16
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
A nice big lazy barrel roll would be scale for that aircraft.

I'd stay away from the flat spin.

Big loop would look nice. Would probably have to dive it a bit first which would be typical of that type of plane.

Like I said...... NO HOVERING!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #17
Waco Driver
RCC Apprentice

I had occasion to do the test flights on a friend's Pica Waco powered with an old OS 60 2 stroke about 20 years ago. It flew very well with no bad habits as does my 120 four stroke powered 6' shown in my avatar. In spite of all the apparent drag, both these models have a surprisingly good glide ratio and just do not want to quit flying. Elevator control is quite sensitive and aileron control is rather mushy in spite of sealed aileron gaps. The Enya 60 FS should provide excellent scale power with a 13x6 or 14x6 prop. Fly it like a full scale and your onlookers will be impressed.
MAAC 6273L
Waco Driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor

I was quite shocked to read the instructions for the flat spin with no aileron use Guess I have a good reason to attend more events both RC and full scale
Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Welcome to the Waco world!

I had the Pica 1/6th which sounds similar to the specs you provided. I flew mine on an old OS (pre-surpass) .90 and she was overpowered. She was quite comfortable putting around just above high idle. As long as she's built true and balanced, you should have no issues with her flying, the YMF is a well behaved bipe.

As is typical for most bipes, you have to fly her all the way to the ground. Control altitude with throttle, not elevator on the approach and don't 'chop' throttle until the wheels touch terra firma.

As for aerobatics, the real Waco is quite capable of most old-school basic airshow stuff but, performs them in a very lazy manner, requiring dives at the ground to build up airspeed, barely making it over the top in big open loops.

These aircraft were often used for crop dusting ( a legitimate scale maneuver specific to this type, and a lot of fun to perform). Picture high speed (relative to this type, certainly not high speed compared to a spitfire) low passes down the field terminating by pulling up to a vertical wing-over ready for the next pass over the crops... add some smoke ( especially if you can route it through tubes on the wings) to simulate pesticide spray and the fantasy is complete.

I gave away my YMF a few years ago, after she was crashed by a friend... I still dream of her "putt, putt, putting" in low over the corn at the end of the runway to a full stall landing in the first 1/3rd of the runway. I finally couldn't resist the urge to relive that experience so I'm in the last throes of building another, this time the 1/5th UMF.

MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply! You put a real good picture in my mind as to how I should fly this, thanks. Your new Waco looks great. Will be waiting for your maiden flights review soon.
Thanks again

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.