School talk on flight - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
School talk on flight

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a school talk this week on flight.
How planes fly and the like.
I was going to start with the different airfoils.
Any suggestions on benefit over one type to another and why??
(symmetrical, semi symmetrical and flat bottom)
Any help would be greatly and eagerly passed on to the young minds of today.
Thanks for your help and your time.
hyperrockets is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris l

I think that may be a little advanced for a starting point..try the old area of high pressure(pushing up) vs area of low pressure(sucking up) arguement and get them involved if you can.
Chris Lewry
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
After you explain how a wing "flies" because of Bernouli's principle, just wait untill a kid asks you how a flat bottom wing can fly inverted..

Seriously, there are many great books on the subject - perhaps you can get to the library before the talk day? I have a few here but I dont think I would be able to send them to you in time...

What grade are you talking to? I think if its grade 8 or less keep it really simple... high school I would get a little more technical.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

hey don...

how about showing how the flight surfaces work.. i.e rudder aileron.....

bring in a model and show them hands on... show them the deflections and how it affects flight..

get them to guess on how the plane will react if lets say... the left ail. goes up and the right goes down.. type of thing... or elevator is up or down..
im from Sudbury Ontario!
chuckster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor

All good Ideas guys.
I was going to bring in a few different models.
it is grade 6 so I will keep it very simple thanks

hyperrockets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
This will either be one of the most enjoyable days you can have or it can be very stressful. (Most likely the former) I have worked with kids in this age group a fair bit, and they are FUN! Their intelligence level is such that they can ask some really good questions, and understand the answers, but they haven't quite gotten to the age where everything is greated by cynicism. This can make for a spirited time.

The big thing is, they have to know you are enthused by what you are involved in. They will pick up on that right away. Also, talk with them, rather than to them or at them, let them get involved in the discussion as much as possible and it will fly! (Pun intended)

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by hyperrockets
it is grade 6 so I will keep it very simple thanks
But try not to patronize. To add perspective, I was a modeller in grade 6 and read everything I could get my hands on. I had read of Bournoulli, the math was beyond me at the time but I had a reasonable grasp of the concept. I even wrote a science project paper refuting it as the only explanation for lift based on some of my reading related to surface tension combined with my rubber powered model fitted with a custom symmetrical wing. The project was flawed in pronciple but, it must have fooled the teacher well enough as I received a perfect mark.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ID

Why not focus on the four forces of flight. Each one can be demonstrated with a static model.
I won a science fair in grade school with this type of demonstration.
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
2thelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Morning Don

I like the demonstration where one takes a light piece of paper. Curve the leading edge of the paper with a twisting hold and blow at the leading edge. Blow hard and see the results.

All the best with your presentation.

Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

Flight lesson

To keep kids of the grade 6 age interested, you must keep the lesson experiential. This age needs "hands on" learning and visuals to grasp concepts. I taught middle years for many years and when I read your post, I visualized you dying a slow death in front of a class. While airfoils may be interesting, you have to get the kids excited about flying before teaching them the "why it flies" part. Some suggestions I have: bring a couple of models in, explain flight in general; control surfaces etc, then turn on the transmitter and let everyone have a go at wiggling the sticks. Turn the model so the prop faces away from the students and move it in conjunction with a kid moving the sticks so they understand pitch, roll and yaw. If you have a small electric, it would be nice for the kids to see a prop spinning. Hold it facing away from the students and make sure the ADHD kid doesn't have the Tx at that time! If you can, bring in some video of either full size aerobatics or exciting flight. Now that you have them, you can explain "why" it flies etc. You have to think backwards when teaching flight to kids. For example, what got you into R/C? Seeing a trainer stooge around and a hearty discussion of airfoils? Probably not. More than likely you saw some hot dog with an Extra knife edging at an airshow or a Mustang bent on a full throttle, cheating flutter strafing run. Get the kids excited about it and they'll follow you anywhere... even to a discussion of airfoils! Have fun and you'll make it fun. Enjoy,
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.