Glueing spar to coroplast - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Glueing spar to coroplast

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm building my first wing and can't seem to get the spar to glue to the wing. I have flashed the area and the spar is mad from clear pine. The flashing is done on the trailing edge as well and no problems getting glue to work there. I'm using medium CA.

Is it possible to use other glue types?
wood11111 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Glueing Spar

I use mostely Elmers Ployurethane ProBond Glue (note, there is two elmers glue called ProBond - make sure you get the Polyurethane) for doing my SPADs.

This glue requires a small amount of water to set.

I first rough up the area of the Coroplast really well with very rough sandpaper so its kind of fuzzy, this gives a good gripping surface for the glue. I then dampen the area lightly with water using a mist from a spray bottle. I then apply a light coating of polyurethane glue, then give the glue and other surface a light misting of water, then clamp together. It will take a while to set, the instructions say 1 to 4 hours depending on conditions.

The polyurethane glue will expand like crazy for the first 2 hours and then seems to stop. Make sure you put scrap pape or plastic under any area that you think the glue will spill on to. I use wax paper.

I wipe excess of after 1 hour and then again at 2 hours.

If I'm worried about the surrounding areas getting glue on it, I mask off with masking tape. The glue is very difficult to get off once it is set, and will never come out of clothes, so be careful!

I get my glue at Home Depot or Rona, it is expensive, but goes a long ways.

Judging how much expansion that takes place is difficult, to test, just run a bead on a piece of scrap with a mist of water on the scrap, then mist the glue - come back in 2 hours.

You may want to test glueing two pieces of scrap coro, or wood and coro together first to get an idea of how it works.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor

Possibly you are using too much CA? 1 drop every 1//4" or so is all you need. I have glued many spars to coroplast using medium CA and have always had VERY strong bonds. The only time I had a problem was with the first spar I tried to glue. I used a continuous bead of CA and it wouldn't set worth a darn. Of course make sure both surfaces are clean and oil free. I assume you cleaned the coro with alcohol or glass cleaner to remove the surface oil. A light sanding on the coro doesn't hurt either.

Or as mentioned above try Probond polyurethane glue. It's slower to use but just about foolproof and will give you absolutely bombproof joints!
MAAC 50249

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #4

Total Props: 1
my method:

1)with thinners and a cloth, rub the bejeebers out of the area to be glued (rub till you hand/cloth gets hot).

2)sand with rough sand paper

3) flash it

4) woodpecker it

5) ca it in drops about 1/4" apart and clamp

6) pop it open

7) woodpecker it again

8 ) polyurethane glue one side--in a nice long continuous S-line (like a snake), mist other side lightly with water and clamp

9) NOW do the same procedure to seal the trailing edge.

Works every time for me BUT coro from different regions glues differently (better/worse) as well as different colours glue better/worse.

Experiment with what works for you. Go to my site and download the "gluing" document. A summary of all the gluing tips from the old SPAD site.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Never been a problem doing spars?

*Important you use a Flame to burn off the manufacturing oils off the plastic. I use a BBQ or Candle Butane wand and run the flame up/down the area that must be glued. In Spadtothebone this is known as Flaming.

Step 2 Use tiny drops of CA - sort of like doing Rivits and you get 1 go at putting it in place correctly.

Another reason if your using yardsticks is the varnish finish on the wood. Sand off the varnish and the Ca will work better.
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
RCC Noob

Can epoxy work if I sand the coro first?

wood11111 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Never Tried Epoxy?

I use Ca+ thick stuff - The Ca welds the Coro to the wood or Coro on Coro - The coro will rip before the glue joint fails. Thats strong!!!!

Epoxy won't weld as glue joint and I feel cold weather or hot weather would effect the bond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corome109b_177.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	8807   Click image for larger version

Name:	dracob1_182.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	8808  
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave

I've always used probond. Never had a problem. I find if you poke a number of small pinholes along the joint, the probond will expand into these holes during the curing process. A sort of glue rivet. Good luck, it looks like you've been given alot of great advice.
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Rob Smith
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Robert P
Radio of choice:
Hitec eclipse
# of RCs: 10

Spar to Coro Glue

Ditto on the above. I have used the Poly and CA very effectively. Also have experimented with others and have found the following to be very effective for the spar to coro and all other coro to coro applications.

Lepage Contact Cement 250 ml size

- ease in surface preparation(medium sand the coro only)
- easy to apply-applicator provided
- apply to both surfaces, coro-coro or coro-wood, and let dry 5-10 minutes
- immediate and very strong bond with NO clamping necessary
- it's cheap and available at C Tire and most hardware stores
- on to next segment of build
Have built several SRADS using this contact cement including Kraut's big Ultra SpadStick. Because it is a contact cement once you press the surfaces together that's it, so make sure all is lined up.It's just great IMHO and very suitable if used carefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uss_wing_build_870.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	8824   Click image for larger version

Name:	lepage_914.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	8825  
Rob Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.