Great Hobbies = great patience :( - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #21
mustang man-rcu
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve B.
Radio of choice:
JR, PCM-10, JR, XP-8103

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This may sound corney but years ago my Father told me " It does not matter what business you are in there is only one thing you have to sell and that is service, because whatever you are selling, someone else sells it too". I beleive he was right. I get the impression many hobby shop retailers go for volume, not service. Maybe that's one of the reasons we see so many come and go.

Takeoffs are optional...........Landings are mandatory.

To see my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
mustang man-rcu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #22
Gaetan Cormier
RCC Apprentice

I did busness with Great Hobbies and it was perfect till last year. The order were delivered fast and it was rare that an item was back ordered.

Now I placed 4 orders in the last year and they were all back ordered. Not that I ordered something unusual. it was a Hitec receiver, a Top Flite prop and things like that.

Now I just placed an order to Hobby Wholesale and I'll see if the service is better. If not, I'll go back to Towers but I wish not cause it's a mess to have the border between them and me.
Gaétan Cormier
Gaetan Cormier is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1
I normally get good service from them, but on one occasion I ordered an RC Blimp (online) I called to see when it was expected in. I was told 4-6 weeks. six weeks later I called to see where it was, I was told it should be in soon, couple more weeks, call again, I was informed that it hadn't even been ordered yet Apparently, some items they wait until they have a certain number of orders before ordering. They did give me free shipping but......

I deal with my LHS (AVF) whenever possible nowadays. Yeah I pay a bit more, but if I ever have a problem, they're there to support me. Service is everything.
Jason Holdaway

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Ron and ED - with all do respect to your own opinons, I think this hobby would be WAY too expensive if we were paying for hobby shops to "priority this and that" and trying to source parts from all over regardless of what it costs, just to please a customer....

This is the model hobby business NOT a car manufacturing plant. No one is losing thousands of dollars a day due to not being able to get one servo, or a part for a model.

Ed, I am not sure what you do, but I make wood into furniture and millwork for a living. it is NOT uncommon for my suppliers ( all down in southern Ontario) to tell me they have stock and then the truck comes after two weeks and I am missing something. What can I tell my customers? Not much but wait for the next truck... Or say a particular grade&specie of wood is not in stock and I just have to WAIT for it....

I just waited 4 weeks for a sample of hardwood flooring that I wanted to show a potential customer. I was told it would take 3 or 4 days... something got buggered up and I lost the account. Its not my supplier's fault, its his suppliers fault. So how can I be upset with my supplier when I think they did everything they could for me?

My final opinion: if anyone thinks a hobby shop, even a large mail order one, will have stock on every item, at every possible moment throughout the year they being very unrealistic... even Tower Hobbies, the largest mail order hobby shop in the world (I think) has out of stock items at any one time.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #25
mustang man-rcu
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve B.
Radio of choice:
JR, PCM-10, JR, XP-8103

I have to agree with Ed. The supplier I buy from does not "bait" me by telling me he has an item in stock when he doesn't. When I ask him how long before he can get the item he tells me he will phone me back and usually within the hour he has a reply. He does the smart thing and takes the time to check with his wholesaler, then lets me know. I appreciate what he does and in the long run it pays for him. I know I can trust and count on him. Like the commercial that used to be on TV says, "He makes money the old fashioned way, he earns it".

Takeoffs are optional...........Landings are mandatory.

To see my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
mustang man-rcu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #26
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Andrew, I was probably being a bit too specific, but sometimes in buisness, situations arise where you have to try just a bit harder.
As buisnesses are growing, it is common to give exceptional service to build a customer base, and when buisness starts to take-off, it is just as common for buisness owners to ease up on the service (and expense), and to reap the rewards of their past work.
If this attitude does not change, it is possible for great damage to the business reputation.
For example, quite often, I have to give business to a competitor in order to maintain prompt service. Or, "eat" a shipping or re-stocking charge to keep my customer happy. Of course, I can't get too generous, but sometimes you have to give a little.
If I ease up on my service for even a minute, I know there are several companies just waiting to take my place.
The information in this thread from what were loyal customers, including myself, would indicate that something has changed for the worse.

I'm not sure that this is what has happened to GH, if anything, but the negative comments in this thread are for sure a warning sign.

I have always been a loyal GH shopper in the past. I hope this is just a bump in the road!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #27
Bipe Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor

When I order something and it is backordered, I expect to be informed with an ETA and then I decide if I can wait or if I need to find it somewhere else. GH has always been good about contacting me and letting me know the status of an order after it has been placed.

The one thing I would really like to see is stock levels on thier website, like Tower.
1/2A all the way!
Bipe Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #28
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rob

I have been dealing with Jim since I used to live in PEI and he was workin gout of his garage. I still cant stop calling it Jim's or ECMC (IN fact I still type that into the address line as a shortcut to get to the GH site)

I have always had good service with them and HW BUT ever since I bought a Raptor 60 3 years ago I havent been able to put an order in anywhere (Canada or the USA) and get the parts I need in less than 2 weeks, ever.
Today I am three weeks into waiting for a set of tail bevel gears due to a stripped tooth.
They have been on backorder from GreatHobbies, HW does have them in stock (I didnt order from them thought)
I found a set at Jet_Hobby in Richmond and have been waiting for 2 weeks for them to arrive (I just called and he got the address wrong so I have no idea if they will show up)
Rick's in the USA would ship to me without a faxed copy of the front and back of my Visa card, and HeliProz refuses to ship to me since I dont have home delivery and they wont send it to a PO Box.
So here I sit, going to the club twice a week to watch everyone else with 30s and 50s flying.
I guess this isnt really anything against GH or any other, manbe TT or ACE for not haveing the parts available, Maybe it is the Ontario based Distributor that is the problem since I think all the Local stores and the big Mailorder places go thru them.
I am just sick of waiting each time.
Does anyonme out there know of anyplace that has Raptor 60 parts in stock and is willing to ship them to a Canadian address?

Thats it, I have to buy a Raptor 50 and give up this madness

That others may live
tunes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #29
RCC Contributor
I am: Andrew B

Great Hobbies

Its kinda interesting. I just read through all the posts and there was an overwhleming thought. Great Hobbies "service" sucks.

I think we can all understand that there are times that things are out of stock etc. But, the issue is that if it is out of stock, you take the extra steps to make the customer happy. And GH is no longer doing that. Your just a number again. There is no follow up.

I can remmeber back in late 80's and early 90's when I was flying out of Goose Bay, Labrador, if I needed something, I would call Jim's R/C and they would take care of my order. If it wasn't in stock, they gave me a time line that i would have it and they would follow up with me to update.

I use to work in snowmobile parts department. There were lots of items we would go though, so we always made sure to stay ahead of the demand. If we didn't have something, we made sure that it was odered,. asap and that the customer had it in hand in the shortest possible time period. Or, they would take their business elsewhere.

If Gh dosn't pull up their socks, the business will go elsewhere.

I called once, and out og the 5 items I wanted, 3 were out of stock. interesting. So, i have nver called them again. I am sure that Jim's R/C use to offer free shipping as well. I think it as ground shipping, but so what....

Anyway, thats my thought.. again.

Canadiank-9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #30
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Actually I have an order coming for me and only one item was not in stock and they informed me promptly by email the next day, so I made a substitution and all is well. I spend about 500-700 bucks a year there and everything is usually in order. The stuff on the back cover of the ECM flyer may be out of stock by the time you order best to order quickly I learned....dont wait til you've had the flyer in the bathroom for reading pleasure a month and decide to order as soon as you finish.....pot luck. hehehe.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.