Foam Glue - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am not an engineer but maybe will talk to my son as he is. But I always maintained if you pull a high G turn and stress the wing I would sooner have a touch of flex than be rigid. I made a 48" wing using epoxy one time for a F1 and then placed it between to chairs and gingerly stepped on it feeling it would let go. It flexed about an inch and when I got off it was back in shape. The only reason I asked is I have seen wings fold a few times and they make good lawn darts after. Expensive on engines and electronics.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Wings fail because the center section hasn't been constructed properly.

I think you want some flex but not too much. If you have too much in you wing than when you turn or pull a positive G maneuver the wing geometry is going to change. You don't what the wing geometry to change because that will affect your trim etc. Pylon racers try to make there wing as stiff as possible because when then pull High-G turns if the wing flexs then they lose energy which results in them losing speed........thats the theory.

Construct the wing according to the instructions and common sense and don't worry about it.

Mike Sebastien
airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Originally Posted by airframe
I think what is important is too distribute the weight evenly and have enough so the sheeting doesn't lift as the glue cures. How much weight required? I haven't got a clue. I just keep adding weight until I hear the foam buckling and then take some off..........just kidding. Just keep putting it on until it looks like you have enough.

Chad might be able to figure it out as he is a Engineer.
Yo! Chad, where you at?

I've sheeted foam wings once before. Strangly enough, they were for the same kit that I'm building now. Last time I used 3 hour epoxy and piled old telephone books about eight high for weight. The wings are fairly small, about 50" wingspan with an 7" fuse in the middle. The first set of wings came out great using epoxy. I'd like to do the new set with polyurathane, but am concerned with how much weight to use.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Foam Glue

Well I sheeted the one side just waiting for the glue to dry on the other side so I can sheet it also The water base contact glue works like a dream .One thing I did have was a reasonable amount of over lap which can be trimmed later.I could see difficulties if you had to be bang right on first time but if you can be bigger with sheeting and trim gotta be the way to go.Thanks again I believe it was Vulcan 1 for the idea
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
Dennis 9412
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Gluing Foam cores

Hi Jim:

You might want to go to Bob Hudson's website,
he goes into how to sheet the cores for his Edge. If that link doesn't work, you can get to it from his main website,

Dennis DuBois
MAAC 9412L
IMAC 3821
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.