Soldering non-tab NiMh's - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Soldering non-tab NiMh's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey I have a quick ? Does the heat of the soldering iron affect the cells..... I have a Weller soldering station and just bought some 2500 Mah AA's ( energizer's made in Japan, can't be half bad )... I wanted to make up a 6.0 V Rx pack... I'm just putting a 1/8 dab of solder on the + and - sides... So not much heat but still some.....
So just wondering if it's OK.......
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Personally, I assemble a lot of packs but I purchase cells with tabs for the very reason that I do not like to solder directly on the "positive" post of the cell. Of course, with the tabs, no soldering on the post is necessary! There is a plastic seal under the positive post that allows the cell to vent if there is too much pressure buildup in the cell for various reasons. If that seal were to be melted because of too much heat, the cell would be destroyed.

I have soldered to the positive post but make sure that you use a high heat gun and do it very quickly to avoid the heat from soaking in. Use a damp cloth to immediately quench the heat. You should have no problem. A number of the electric guys that I know who solder packs with cells end to end have to solder to the positive and do so with good results, but again its done quickly with high heat.

Of course, with any new pack, give it a thourough testing after assembly to check for continuancy and I usually give it a full slow charge for 24 hours at the overnight rate (wall charger) which will "form" the pack and then a full cycle to assure its up to specs and ready for use! A bit of extra work but you will have a very relyable pack thats good for many flying seasons!

Go for it! All the best! Let us know how you make out!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Fox 22
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Heat is not a good thing for any battery- My dad used to manufacture ELTs (emergency locator transmitters - Pointer Avionics) for aricraft, and in the "old days" he used to have to solder the packs by hand. His technique was to have one of those gel packs that you place in the freezer ready to cool the ends of the cell after soldering. He said the trick was to get some acid paste flux, the kind used in plumbing, and take your solder and put a little dab on the end before soldering. Place the solder with it's glob of flux directly on the top of the cell where you want to attach the lead, then press the soldering iron ontop of the solder and flux. When the flux liquifies and the solder melts, feed more solder in from the side until the end of the cell has been "tinned" ie: has a nice dab of solder on it. Then wipe the exess flux off with a damp rag and press the cell into the gelpack to cool it. Pre-tin all the cells like this. Then cut your wires, strip the end and tin it with solder. Place the wire on top of the dab of solder on the end of the cell and then press the soldering iron ontop of the wire, and once the solder on the wire and cell have liquified and fused, remove the heat, and as soon as the solder has cooled to a solid, press the end of the cell into the coldpack again. The key to all this is to be FAST, and make sure you have a high power soldering iron, at least 60W and use a fine resin-core electronics solder, - NOT the 1/8" dia stuff they sell for plumbing!
I don't know what we're YELLING ABOUT! ......... LOUD NOISES ! ! !
Fox 22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
OK i've made up the pack.... Now should I discharge it or wall charger it over night first... I have a Triton charger so I can cycle it, but how many cycles?.... If I have given a cell to much heat is there a way to tell wich one, I do have a multi-meter.. So would the bad cell have a definate V drop? And could a cell still have good V but be trashed....
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Dennis 9412
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

Hi Darren:

The best way to charge a newly assembled pack is to charge it slowly with your wall charger for a minimum of 14 hours. Once that is done, cycle the battery with your Triton two or three times. You will be surprised at how much more MAH you get with each charge/discharge cycle. Continue cycling until there is no appreciable improvement.

Dennis DuBois
MAAC 9412L
IMAC 3821
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
I was reading this and noticed the mention of acid. That is a definite no no with electronics. What I do beside the high heat I prepare the ends by a little fine sanding with very fine sand paper. That roughs up the surface and also cleans it. Then using resin core I pre-tin the ends. I also use the braid for packs that is used for sucking up the solder when taking components off a a board. RS has it. That is better than having small strands of wire for connections. After wash and clean the cells to remove the resin. Maybe some of you guys can remember the old black death.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.