Have you had a bad day??? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #21
Sport Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kelvin M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: &#8

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Two weeks ago my brother panned his Diamond Dust off the runway in a too-low high speed pass. The airframe basically survived except for some missing wood and covering where it touched on the bottom. His engine, a nice little Irvine 36 wasn't so lucky as after shedding both prop blades it went ballistic and blew the wrist pin resulting in total internal destruction.

This weekend he tried it for the first time with a piped Irvine 46. With more power it developed flutter and instead of landing it promptly he pushed it and after about the 6th flutter episode he lost a control rod, promptly plunking at a 30 degree angle on the runway centerline.

The piped 46 was destroyed. Casing broken at the carb, fins broke, carb missing both needles, even the pipe was cracked.

He also didn't have a lot of fun with his snappy cappy's this weekend either.
Gravity -- Its the law!!
Sport Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
I was told may years ago when I first started flying: "If you can't afford to crash them, you can't afford to fly them!" Now, that may be pretty harsh advise to some, but, it is reality!

I had a student last year that let his brain go to sleep while he was flying and he did something totally unexpected! While doing an overshoot, he pushed forward full on the throttle and at the same time pushed forward full on the elevator while only about 20' off the deck! You don't have to guess what happened to his trainer! While picking up the pieces of his plane he told me he was afraid to go home...and he meant it!! He was terrified that his wife was going to be so very angry with him for putting all that money into a plane and now its just a pile of sticks!! He stayed until dark so that he could "sneak" the plane into the garage without his wife seeing it! For the rest of the evening he just paced around the field!

I felt very sorry for him but this is part of the reality of learning to fly. No! Not everyone crashes! But it does happen. He asked me what I think he should do! I simply said, "Just be honest with your wife and tell her what happened!" This is something that everyone should seriously consider before ever purchasing a plane! Can I afford to crash it? If the answer is NO, then you should consider another hobby where monitary loss of this magnatude is a non issue.

After a number of years in the hobby now, and after a few very spectacular crashes, I have learned to just accept it as part of the hobby....
This is the fellow that you introduce to SPADs or a Combat AC.

They may not be as pretty as a kit, but they are much less expensive and durable!

If he wishes he can even "graduate" out of SPADs to a Kit ... once he becomes proficient enough ... This is where an experiance instructor can help a NEWBEE to stay in the hobby, instruction doesn't stop at the flightline!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #23
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Originally Posted by planecrazy
NEVER take a picture of your smashed up plane. It'll just keep the memory too fresh. Just keep in it in your mind.
Actually, I like to keep a pic of my smashed plane(s) That way, when I rebuild and fly it again I can show off what a great rebuild I've done. (I get lots of chances at that!) I've actually only written off one plane completely, my second Avistar, but it became postage stamps and cornflakes when it hit that treeline...

Also, it encourages me to be more careful, so it doesn't happen again (but it always does).

A big hurdle for me was to get over looking at my first plane and seeing dollar signs written all over it. Once I was able to do that, my fun increased a lot!
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
You guys havn't been around long enough You have to go racing After mid-airing a spectator asked me why I wasn't upset.
My answer I built it, I crashed it ,and now bag it. Most of the time either somebody got in the road or I did. Now it it is a brain fart.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #25
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Heh. Try dorking a turbine powered jet. Yikes.

I haven't had that pleasure yet, but I have dorked a few DF jets. Best one was at Heart of Ohio a couple of years ago. Managed to get myself on the local news saying, with a big grin plastered on my face, "When something like this happens, we go out and get another one" as I picked up the last bits of my ARF jet that had been turned into a kit.

As has been mentioned above, you'll have a lot more fun once you stop thinking about the dollars in the air.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #26
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
bbbair wrote:"This is the fellow that you introduce to SPADs or a Combat AC.

They may not be as pretty as a kit, but they are much less expensive and durable!

If he wishes he can even "graduate" out of SPADs to a Kit ... once he becomes proficient enough ... This is where an experiance instructor can help a NEWBEE to stay in the hobby, instruction doesn't stop at the flightline!

Thanks for your comments bbbair, I agree with you 100%. I did help this student to continue and I even called the hobby shop where he purchased the plane and was able to help him get another plane replaced for FREE! I even offered to build a 40 size spad for him at my cost or less, as a spad is a great way to get yourself through all the bumps and splashes of learning to fly! He opted to continue with his Nexstar and has been showing good progress since! I doubt that he will ever push hard on the elevator stick again while at full throttle and only 30 or 40 feet off the deck!!

I do try to spend a much time as possible with students off the flight line! Its one thing to see a plane do this and that but it is another thing to know why a plane does this! Its the knowing why that will help a student to progress and learn to do things properly. Some days I will spend almost as much time sitting with a student explaining things as I do in actual flight times. There are many things I could do for the student, but its so much better to show them how to do it for themselves so they learn to be independent as much as possible, their not always going to be students . I also make myself available to help them even after they get their "Wings"! The wings is not the endall of anything but only the beginning of many years, hopefully, of an enjoyable and fun hobby for them. And hopefully, they will be appreciative of what they have been given and will themselves continue to progress to the point where they can give back to the hobby that which has been given so freely and generously to them! "Pay it forward"! Thats what this hobby is all about! It makes for a strong and progressive club where everyone does their part to promote and help this wonderful hobby to continue on!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.