Thank you lord... and Hobbico for a great idiot proof design - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Thank you lord... and Hobbico for a great idiot proof design

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all

I got something exciting (or scarry) to share with you. I've always been interested in flying rc planes, (I'm a full scale glider fanatic with 65 hours) but somehow never got around it. Last year I found a video of some rc plane on the net and I right away knew that I had to get one. So I looked around on the net and after thinking it over I decided to get a Nexstar from Hobbico for two reasons. It's ready to fly out of the box, plus it seemed like a good trainer design. I was thinking about an ARF version from the same company, but I really barely knew how they really work, and I don't really have much time for building so I thought this would be a good choice to figure out the basics of electrics and engines and designs.
I spent a LOT of time on the simulator that was provided and also bought a SLO V from Parkzone to get a hold of it. Well by the time I learned to fly the slo v, I had to replace pretty much everything on it cause it got beaten badly everytime I tried to fly it. Than I got a Decathlon from parkzone also. I crashed that a few time two, but after a few attempts, I was able to fly it and land it safely. So this february I joined a club in southern Ontario and got MAAC coverage. I went out a few times but only got a few minutes of buddy box time. But this weekend. I went out very early, and wanted to see how my landing gear was behaving after some minor repairs on the firewall. So I put the wings on, fueled her up, (stupidly put the wings on) and started it. Played with the needle a bit, and rolled out. I wanted to see how it will turn on the grass, so I advanced the throttle a bit and ups, in a few metres it lifted its landing gears from the ground and I was at the end of the runway. Wasn't more than 1/3 throttle. I knew I wasn't gonna be able to land it before the fence, so I just advanced to full throttle and added some elevator. WOW it was airborne. For a second I wished that it's only a dream, but it wasn't. My hand were shaking so bad that I nearly dropped the radio. My pulse must have been 180, my mouth got so dry, and I just wanted to yell at someone to help but it was 6:00 am.... So I tried to do everything like I do in the simulator and with my electric, but it was VERY different than a simulator, (much much faster and more stick input sensitive) or a parkflyer. The speed felt unreal. So I when I thought I was high enough, I applied a bit of right aileron and and elevator and pulled the throttle back to 50%. It climbed out so smoothly that I could not believe my eyes. So I've done my first circle around the field and then an other to get it lower a bit... I knew it was gonna come down eventually, but I wanted have a plane in one piece. I was just praying "please lord help me now, I will never be this stupid again". So as I brought lower I pulled throttle to idle, and guess what. I didn't seem to want to come down. It glided really nice.
It took an other circle to get low enough for landing. As a glider pilot, I was afffraid to drop the nose too much, cause at that second, speed was my worst fear. It flew really stable at slow speeds. When I got close to the runway, I cut the fuel. and landed it so smoothly that I've never thought was possible. I was the happiest person on earth. My pulse got back to normal as well. I repeated it 4 more time in a row, without any incidents. If you are a rookie GET AN INSTRUCTOR. The reason why I have a plane today in one piece is because its a very very good design and I flew my electrics a lot. They are much slower though and act a bit different with rudder and elevator only, but the feeling is similar.

Thank you hobbico.
Sorry for the long story...
slowflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
Great story. Glad you got to take it home in one piece.

Keep on practicing, but don't be afraid to get an instructor to give you a hand.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

Total Props: 0
Glad to hear it!

So glad to hear you got it down safe! My stories never end like that. Can you say smokin' hole... Keep enjoying the hobby! Oh, and make sure to post when you crash, it might make me feel better.
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.