Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Re: Depend on where you are

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Poelzer
I see MAAC adding value for those who live in more populated areas, such as Ontario. Also, it's probably good for those who are in competitions, etc. For those of us in sparsly populated areas, who just fly for fun...MAAC still adds value...but probably not as much.

Actually, its just as, in not more important for those modellers who are in sparsley populated areas, with perhaps no club. When I was about 13, in the early 80's, I joined MAAC. We had no club, there were only a few flyers around. I found out about it and joined up. If nothing else, it shows you what other modelers in Canada are up to, whats happening in different disciplines (like CL and ff not just RC) and can open doors for potential fun, be it listed fun flies, clubs in your zone you may not otherwise find out about, and competitions, etc. ALso a great way to find out about places in Canada to buy model stuff!

One thing I am certain of - there will allways be people who think MAAC membership is not worth anything. Those people, I nor anyone else will change their minds IMO as they are allready made up. But I honestly believe, just like ANY other activity that has a national organisation to "bind" people from all over, MAAC does for Canadian Modelers what we need it to do... sure there is always room for improvement. But to say we dont need a national organisation.. well, I disagree.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
I think JimMcIntyre worded it well.

I am happy to give my $ for their services.

I think if one has strong opinions that differ from the way things are being ran they should run for the executive and try to bring change. If others agree with the point of view, they will get support.

This is a discussion group so this is a valid discussion (as mentioned above it has been hashed around before ... but a starting point for you since you are new to the forum and if you are considering running for office).

My 2 cents.
Adam Woodhouse
MAAC# 27503
Lord Kimbo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave D

This is helping. I just read some the the PDF's on the MAAC site. I was a member back in 1978-82 MAC #16666. I just rejoined in 02. Maybe there should be an information page to help show new members what MAAC does. It would help inform new members(maybe even some long term members) and could be used for potential members. I have no problem paying for something of value. MAAC just needs to do a better job of showing its value. Many of the post I see seem like two old ladies fighting about who gets the 2 cents change from lunch. Lets try to do something positive to educate members like myself.

I would be willing to help write up something as a member for other members.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3

I think that's a great idea and something I'm sure MAAC would love to see. Contact your ZD to get things kicked off. I know the association always welcomes member involvement.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #15
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

One of the decisions at the last AGM was to put a new web page supplier in place and to update and modernize the site,which is well under way as we speak.
One of the features of the new face page will be exactly what you are talking about listing what MAAC does and the advantages of membership.
The executive is meeting over the coming weekend and one of the items on the agenda is the progress and construction of the web site.
Thanks for the input on this thread.............we do listen to what members say.
Regarding budgets and other business items I can assure you there are no secrets and mainly through your zone director you can get answers to any questions you have.
Since I am on the current exec I can tell you we put two days of work into the budget for 05 and went through the process again during the AGM meetings in March,and since we had a 135000$ insurance bill to pay I can assure you there is no fat at all in the current spending and even the small promo budgets that zone directors adiminister and the small change the committees get were slashed in half.
Included on the board are half a dozen small business owners,several corporate types,a retired RCMP officer and this group missed nothing in the budgets I guarantee...........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Honestly....along this same topic, yet not to start a thread that gets some cynics in a may be just a suggestion to stop putting controversial topics in a tailspin is to do one of two things here on RCCANADA and to probably save Jason some headaches is to:

1) Move the General discussion area Farther down the forum lineup so that it isn't the first thing people read instead of all the other very good informative topics....engines, for sale, etc.

2) Have a new category started and moderated to more stricter guidelines
( two strikes, yer out) and title it MAAC issues. There have been some people that have been banned for deliberately and maliciously lit a fire here...but there are always certain issues that are genuine with MAAC that need to be addressed, not so much from a Zone Director point of view ( that's already taken care of here), but all those who are paid MAAC members that wish to be educated or make MAAC suggestions that they would like to see. The MAAC office has too much to deal with as it is, but now that this forum has been a strong voice across the RC community in Canada, I feel it should be at least looked at.

It's Jason's call tho.....

As for the original question...with a MAAC number of 16666, there should be no doubt why you've had MAAC this long. It is needed for more than the reasons stated by Jim McIntyre.

Ron Harway
Sun Parlor R/C Flyers, Inc.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.