RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
prangled prop
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
G26 Problem Revisited

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I finally got the g26 up and running. It seems like it only wants to swing a 16x8 wooden prop. I tried a 18x10 with no luck, it would just not advance past 1/2 throttle no matter how I adjusted it. I have an 18X8 on order and will see if it will work.

While running the engine I have noticed that air bubbles are some how getting into the fuel line. There are no bubbles seen in the tutubingrom the fuel tank to the filler, but there are bubbles from the filler to the carb. I have changed the ttubing3 times, the last time I went to a smaller ttubingand even put small cable ties around the ffuelfiller nnipplesto tighten the connection. I have replaced the filler with a new one and I have put my finger over the fueling port while the engine is running. Nothing has stopped the air bubbles. It does not seem to affect the running of the engine unless that is the reason it will not swing a larger prop?

Any ideas?
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

Hi Cliff,

I don't have direct experiance with a g26 but, do know gas engines pretty well, I think your expecting too much out of a 26cc gasser. 18x10 is too big of a prop. Even the 18x8 that u have ordered might be too much load.

I think u might get away with a 17x8 if it's an APC or other thin blade prop.

Not sure where your air leak is but, certainly sounds like a problem with the filler valve. Those things are a pain. I always use the 3 line/ fuel dot system now.

luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Cliff your fuel filler valve is teed into the fuel line to your carb. You do not need that valve there your carb has a diaphragm and a needle and seat so if everything is working correctly you cannot flood your engine through the carb when filling the tank. Replace it with a common tee fitting and add a bit of hose to the middle of the tee and use a fuel button to plug that hose after filling. The fuel will go to the tank only as the needle and seat will not allow the fuel to flood the engine. Simple with no air leaks.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:06 AM   #4
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
And tie off each joint inside and outside the tank with a small pull tie.
Those Props are too much for this little engine IMO,especially when new.Try a 16x8 which is what I
use on my 31cc Ryobis and is the size that Zenoah reccomends........gives you a little more prop tip clearance too...........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:11 AM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Rene B

Zenoah only shows one prop listed for that engine in my Manual, and that is a 16x8. Hope that helps

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
prangled prop
RCC Junior Contributor

Well I hit my head against the wall a long time before I figured out that the 18x10 was too much prop. My manual recommends a 16x 8 to 12 or an 18x6 to 10. I had a 16x8 I tried on it today and the engine seems to be working ok after adjusting the needle valves. I do not like this prop as the engine really seem to rev up too much and I do not like the way the plane responds. I got an 18x6 and 18x8 today so I will try them ASAP see..

The tip about replacing the filler valve with a T is good one and I will be trying that one ASAP. Thanks Dennis
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

I have the G23 (it is only a year old).

My 2 cents .... I swing a 16x8. I found my research showed that to be the most common for that engine. Maybe the 26 can go a prop higher, but if you find the 16 inch working better, I would stick with it. I am swinging a master airscrew and the engine is very happy with it. I forget the top RPM I get, but I think it is around 7000 (maybe a bit higher).

I find that when I first start the engine, I have to let it sit and idle for around 30 seconds. If I don't, and try to advance the throttle it sputters and dies. Best I can say is the plug has to warm up and the engine "get in the groove" before it is ready to perform. After a 30 second warm up, I find it doesn't bog down and quit when I advance throttle.

I have air bubbles some times in my line going from my tank to the carb. I have the tank padded in foam, and held in with elastics, so it is well cushioned, but I still see air bubbles. I have found that the air bubbles make no difference.

Are you using large size fuel line? I think I am. If not large, then medium for sure. I like to ensure that maximum fuel line size is used so the engine can suck the fuel as it wants, there never is a shortage.

I have rigged up my lines so the line from the tank to the carb is 1 line with no breaks (i.e. a T). I have a dedicated fill/drain line, and a vent/overflow. I did that on recommendations of experienced pilots and have found it to be a great system with zero problems.

I run the engine with regular Stihl 2 cycle oil. Approx 35:1. I find this give s a bit of exhaust/oil on the plane, but I figure for the first couple dozen flights on the engine, I want that. I will go to Klotz synthetic soon and probably go 40:1 and leave it at that.

To start it it wants lots of prime (really wet). I open her up (with kill switch activated) and put my thumb over the carb and turn 6 times. I take my thumb off the carb and it runs out (soaking wet). I then turn one more, close to idol, turn one more (some times) and then flip the kill switch and start at 1/8 throttle. I have found that to work well for me with it being cold. Agian , I let it run for 30 seconds at 1/8 throttle to warm up.

Good luck.
Adam Woodhouse
MAAC# 27503
Lord Kimbo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.