wet electronics - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
IAR 80
RCC Contributor
I am: Ovidiu M.

Total Props: 0
wet electronics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
help pls

last weekend i've got some "moisture"...looking like drops, in electronics compartment.servos are working , but the receiver,...not yet
opened it today to let it dry,( tough task these days anyways).if tomorrow is still not working, what should i do?

IAR 80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Use your heatgun to dry it out . Keep it moving though so you don't cook anything.

If still not working, send for repair or buy new one.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike S

I would give it more time. Don't try to power it up untill it is completely dry. You don't want to short anything. The heat gun is good idea or a hairdryer. If the sun is up there put it out on a porch and let it sit for an afternoon. You may also want to give it a light rinse wash with some isopropyl to clean up any residue left by the droplets.

You will probably find that it works just fine after it drys out.
MikeSac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Once you have it as dry as possible, use a spray of WD40 on the inner workings of the receiver. One of its primary uses is to eliminate moisture.

I have used this on electronics many times with excellent results. I dunked my float plane once and everything inside the fuse was soaked. When I got everything dried out, I gave all of the electronics a spray and everything worked perfectly after!

Its definitely worth a try! In any case, make sure you test out your receiver thouroughly and its working properly and consistantly before putting it back in your plane!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
If it's water, alcohol will pick it up. When I get some electronics dunked, I open it up and "hose" it with IsoPropal Alcohol. (Pure 100%) Then I let it air dry. The IPA leaves no residue, and picks up any water and washes it away. I have used this on everthing from model railroad and RC electronics to $100,000.00 lab instruments, and it works. The shot of WD-40 suggested by Gary will also help keep humidity at bay, and as it is not conductive will not cause a problem either.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
RCC Apprentice

It's hard to dry the water out from under any chips, surface tension or wicking keeps it stuck under there. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out before the hair dryer, saves time and heat. Be careful if you choose to use an air compressor rather than a can of air, it's huge volume can cause static electricity to damage chips (if they are CMOS - which most are today).
It's not the water that hurts the electronics, but the corrosion and the conductive dirt left behind. I've restored a computer that got rained on (motherboard was soaked) - used alcohol (like Gary and Dave said), blew any remainder out from under the chips, put it over the furnace register to dry.

The_Big_H is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
IAR 80
RCC Contributor
I am: Ovidiu M.

i'm "back in bussiness ".it works again.

honestly, i used all methods.
1. sprayed some WD-40 (considering it's a bit greasy)
2. sprayed some IPA from Radio Shack ( cleaner for heads and contacts, which i made sure is ISP )
3. used a hair dryer with shots of warm ( not hot ) and cold air.

so, it looks ok.

thank you all for your quick response.

i'm happy now.few years ago, my videocamera which survived the huge fire in my apartment, didn't make it with the water ( probably some chemicals added as well) used to put the fire down.basicaly i used same technique, but....the life goes on.

thanks again
IAR 80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Normand
Radio of choice:

I have read somewhere in and RC magasine That this stuf work very well for electronic.

GoodDad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.