A weekend with Dean Wichmann - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
A weekend with Dean Wichmann

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have to say, spending a weekend working on a plane with Dean is an interesting way to spend time.
This past weekend Dean came to pick up his Giant P51 mustang. I've been working on this beast off and on for a year I guess now. It started life as a Top Flite giant scale mustang which I took all the covering off of, recovered in solartex, primed and painted. Then put it all together. Well, Dean left Kamloops on Friday, stayed overnight in Calgary, and showed up Saturday morning....... Early........... Saturday morning.........
Well, early for me anyway, 9am LOL. So, I drag my lazy carcass out of bed and out to the garage we go. Well, it didn't start with the mustang, first we started gluing together the fuel tanks for my Super Bandit. Then after the fittings were in, we went out to my shop where the mustang was.
Well, I won't get into all the details, but let me tell you, Dean with a new airplane is kind of like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. There were times I thought he was going to wet himself. To make a long story shorter, we worked on the mustang for quite a few hours, one thing I learned about Dean is he is not a product of the KISS principle, (keep it simple stupid) He is quite like me in that he overthinks a lot of things. Well, for a jet that's probably not a bad thing, but this is a funscale P51 LOL!!!! Nah, he's not that bad, but there are definitely some things he likes to think about for a long time LOL!

Well, we then went to the Keg for a great supper, had a beer or two, and went back to the shop to work on the P51 some more. A couple more hours and it was time to call it a night, but not before stopping at the liquor store and getting some beer to drink while gluing the rest of the bandit tanks together. Well, the beer didn't really get drank to much, (drank, is that proper, I don't think so but I can't think of the correct word)

Dean, you didn't even finish the one beer you opened! I discovered that the hard way as I spilled it on my bench today!!!!! LOL.

Anyway, Dean left and we agreed to meet at 9am again sunday (I need friends that sleep later LOL).

So, Sunday morning rolls around, much earlier than expected! Dean was there at 9am sharp. So, we went for breakfast and then back out to the shop. Well, we got the last of the mustang buttoned up and decided to run the engine. Well god, at this point I was SURE Dean was going to wet himself! I've never heard Dean giggle before, and I've known him for 6 years now!

After we ran it we were thinking about going and test flying it. Hmmmm, lets see, it has rained, hailed, and still had a very grey sky, silver airplane, what the hell, lets consider it anyway!!! well, after some level headed thinking we decided against flying it.

Well, after we carried it back into my shop, my landlord came home, he flies models as well, and we hadn't had a tach when we ran it up the first time, so, Dennis (my landlord) lent us a tach, it sure didn't take any convincing to get Dean to run the engine again (A DA50).
So we ran it again, Dean giggled some more and we finally took it apart and loaded it into Dean's truck.

So, we went for dinner and Dean headed back home BUT........

The Saturday that Dean had gotten here, he asked if I'd let him ride my Harley Well, on Sunday I let him take it out, he only went around the block, but he was amazed at how smooth and solid it was compared to his Vstar. Told ya so Deano!!!!! Well, Dean should feel priveledged, he is the only other person who has ridden that bike now! It's my baby, but, he let me fly his kingcat, and I'm going to push him for a rip in his Porsche next time I'm in Kamloops so it's all good LOL!!!

Anyway, I think it was almost more fun putting this P51 together with Dean than hanging out with him at Jet Rally's, like I say, I've never heard him giggle outside of this weekend, and that my friends, is not something you can buy with mastercard
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:33 PM   #2

Some pics of the mustang before it was done Gotta rely on Dean to get some of it now that it's all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp2235_757.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	9499   Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp2234_195.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	9500   Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp2233_115.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	9501  
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp2239_212.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	9502   Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp2238_149.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	9503   Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp2237_202.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	9504  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.