Radio Basics - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Radio Basics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello everyone. I needed a radio for controlling a robot (I am going to run the receivers through a microprocessor and have it do certain things depending on the receiver signals).

I needed PCM because of the fail-safe features, but I am getting really confused because a lot of the PCM radios have a LOT of plane-specific controls and its just very hard to muddle my way through. I just have a "few" questions about radios.

What is duel rate switching?

I was looking for a radio with 4 channels for direction control (2 control sticks). But I also needed a radio with a bunch of toggle switches that constantly send out a signal so that the processor reacts differently to the direction channels depending on which switches are toggled. I basically need the switch to send out a signal to indicate its position. What switches on radios work like this? I was thinking the landing gear switch might be a possibility but I need a few more switches. It cant be a switch that does not transmit its own signal (it cant just do something like change how the radio transmits its signals).

Also, how are channels divided among the controls on the transmitter? I find it hard to believe that for toggle switches with just 2 positions that there would be a channel for every switch. Especially on PCM radios since they transmit 10 bits at a time. Each bit could represent one of the two states of the switch so one channel could support 10 different switches.

Also, for 2 stick controllers, one of the sticks pops back to the neutral position while the other stick stays in its last position? Or is that only true for one direction on one of the sticks (like only up/down on the left control stick and not left and right)?

Go0bur is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
For Robots you are going to have to make sure you get a "Surface Frequency" when you purchase the radio. It is illegal to use an "Air Frequency" for ground vehicles.

If you want one of the Fancy aircraft radios you will have to get the hobby shop to order one specialy for you on a surface frequency.

As for other questions.....

1) Dual rates alows you to set two differeent full travel throws for the servo. Ussually on "high rate" you set it up for full throw of the servo. For "low rate" you decrease the amount of travel that the servo arm moves for the full deflection of the stick.

2) 4 channel radio only gives you four functions. How many functions do you require?

Great Hobbies use to cary this product that you used with an Airtronics 6 Channel radio that utilized the last 2 channels andgave you 6 switchable chanels out of these two.. like what you are looking for.

Did aquick search of their site but can't find it although a phone call to them might yield more info.

As for the one stick centering itself that is the way it works. The stick that hold it's position is for throttle. You could modify the radio so both sticks stay where you put them.

For a six channel radio only two of the chanels could be setup for toggle like action. Course there ar electronic switches available on the receiver side that can be programmed to turn on once a certain stick position is reached.

Good luck with your project.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
RCC Noob

Yeah, I was planning on getting the radio retuned to 75MHz.

Does the "throttle" stick center itself only one direction (like up/down)? Or all directions (Left/Right also)?

I am starting to think that I need 6 channels. But I think 7 would be safer.
Go0bur is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

The throttle stick (usually the left, but not always) centres itself L-R, but stays where you put it fore and aft.

As for getting the radio retuned, you can usually just specify a "Surface" frequency and it will come tuned to the right band (75 MHz)
CP140 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.