Triton Charger Limits - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Triton Charger Limits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The specs on the Triton say that it can charge up to 28V batteries (or 24 cells). My questions is this:

I am using two NiMH battery packs in parallel for increased capacity. Each pack is 24V, 3500mAH, and is 20 cells. I was wondering if I could hook them up in parallel to the triton charger so they can both recharge at the same time and maintain the exact same power levels.

The two packs in parallel would not exceed the 28V limit of the Triton, but it does exceed the 24 cells limit (20 cells in parallel, so 40 total). But these 40 cells are not all in series with each other.

I am just not sure whether or not I can do this because I am not sure exactly what it means when it says "up to 24 cells". ie. What if you had 40 cells but they were all in parallel? You would have 1.2V total which is okay, but you would have 40 cells instead of the maximum 24.

Go0bur is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
I'd have to say that the max number of cells means in series, it's looking for voltage.

You would still be ok. When you charge in parallel, the current coming out of the charger would get split into the parallel packs. How would the charger know when the packs have peaked? One might before before the other is ready and cause the charger to stop charging??

Would it even be an issue or would they have equalized enough by then that it would be negligeable?

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
RCC Noob

Well the packs are screwed in with ring terminals into the robot. It would be very nice if I could just plug the charger into the robot and have it charge like that. Also I wouldnt have to switch the batteries out myself when one was done charging. Just plug it in and leave it charging.

Would the Triton use the same amount of current and split it between the cells? Or would it double the current and split it between the cells? It'd be nice if the current were doubled since it would mean the charging time for both packs would be the same as just one pack. But can the Triton handle that? DOes the Triton even change the current like that?

THe difference would be kind of negligable. Its just that Ive heard NiMH lose their charge quickly so having one on the charger while the other loses its charge if I forget about it could damage the cells when they are put in parallel.

But when it comes down to it, laziness and convenience are why I want to do this. (plus its so much cooler to just plug your robot into the charger)
Go0bur is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

Hmmm. We generally don't use NiMH or NiCds in parallel. Problems can result from the poor relationship between voltage and state-of-charge. It isn't impossible, just picky due to the matching requirement...

The Triton can only supply a certain amount of power. This is evident in the chart in the instructions which shows how the current drops as the voltage of the batteries goes up. Under ideal conditions, this current would split evenly between the two packs.

rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.