Weldbond vs. Canopy glue - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
Weldbond vs. Canopy glue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am doing some window work and thought I would share a little experiment I did. I used canopy glue to secure some windows I am installing and I then used some Weldbond for another job in the shop, both glues were used of of the same pallet but they did not touch each other. The Canopy glued did dry clear and remain flexible as advertised. However the Weldbond did exactly the same thing. The glue pallet is visible in the picture below and it is one of the old windows I am replacing. The glue spots on the old window are beside the bottle they came from, the Weldbond on the left and Canopy glue on the right. I have bent the old window in every direction right were the glue spots are and they both performed exactly the same no cracking or discoloration. They also did not seperate from the window despite being bent so much the window almost creased. Now the Canopy glue cost me $5.49 for 59ml and the Weldbond cost me $4.99 for 227ml. I know which one I will buy in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_0622mom_camera000333_731.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	9647   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_0622mom_camera000112_173.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	9648  
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: john g
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 DSMX

Total Props: 1

I've been using Weldbond for years.I've almost given up using CA as I'm not in a rush but as to using it for canopy's I've been using Epoxy but on the new one I'll try it.Thanks John
If I could fit in my plane I would
BigJohn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Another good one to use for canopies is GOOP Automotive. It comes in clear and black.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

I swear that the RC56 (and new Pacer 56 glue) IS the same PVA adhesive as Weldbond. Weldbond has been around for years (since the 60's?) and is definitely a polyvinyl type glue, but it adheres to most plastics much better than a modern woodworking PVA adhesive. I use both extensively in my business.

I certainly buy the weldbond, its like you said much less $$.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

i use weldbond all the way....hold everything alot better , in certain areas i use epoxy , the 2 part tubes that ya mix,,, i use epoxy mostly on and around my engine mounts along with bolts....i just made a boat stand for my miss budweiser boat and only used weldbond....stronger i believe then ca thick or thin....my 2 cents are now in
eagle2flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

With the flexibility of Weldbond after it has cured I would think that it would help limit the damage after a small mishap as it would allow the airframe to flex evry so slightly, were as a brittle glue would just crack. I am becoming a Weldbond convert.

P.S. No I don't own shares
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Weldbond is good stuff, but not that great. At least not from my experience.

The only caveat to using weldbond for a canopy or any exterior gluing application is that it is not waterproof. I used weldbond in the last repair of my Kougar to seal off the canopy and for the covering ends at the firewall. The fuel residue doesn't seem to bother it, but water does.

The weather hasn't been the best around here lately so I have had to go at it "die-hard" style. When flying out in light drizzle rain I notice the weldbond around the canopy going from clear to white again. Meaning the water is softening the glue. The bottom perimeter of my black canopy turns white. . When back in the shop, it dries and goes clear again overnight. This is not from flying in heavy rain, just mist/light rain/ heavy dew type conditions.

It is great stuff, but do not use it on your canopy. The best canopy glue to stick anything to everything is GOOP. GOOP does stand up to fuel and is waterproof. GOOP is the best multi material glue available to us for our modeling needs. Use it.

Except for my electric foam planes, I no longer use weldbond on any part of my models. I use epoxy, CA, GOOP, and Pro-Bond wood glue only.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.