Astro 05 questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Astro 05 questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I'm just finishing off a Carl Goldberg Electra and I've decided to put in a used Astro 05 motor that I picked up. When I hooked everything up I noticed that the motor makes a distinct high-pitched whining noise at very low throttle. Being quite new to this sport, I've never used any motor larger than the GWS300 in my slowstick and didn't notice any noise with this small motor.
I also tried a Master Airscrew 550 motor and it makes the same noise too, so I'm guessing it's probably normal but thought I'd ask, just in case.

The throttle on the 05 seems to top out after I push it past 3/4 throttle. I'm wondering if I might need to adjust the timing perhaps, or maybe that's all the power there is. Also, how hot should the 05 get? After running it up for 20-30 seconds at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (cowl, prop and spinner were on) I checked the motor and it was hot enough that I wouldn't like to have left my hand on it for more than a few seconds. Is this normal for a larger motor like this?

Thanks for any input,

Attached Files
File Type: wma astro05_162.wma (74.9 KB, 251 views)
monty_11 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

This is a trip through history for me. My first plane was an electra and I got my wings on an astro 05 powered plane.

Depending on the speed control, the "singing" sound you hear can be quite normal. It is the controller using PWM to throttle the motor.

Depending on your radio, you can adjust the endpoint so that full throttle is closer to full stick.

You should check that the motor is timed for the direction and anticipated current draw. If you can't find how to do this I can probably remember.

You don't say what prop or what voltage you are running. This can make a huge difference in how much power the motor is producing and how efficiently it is operating..

rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for your feedback. I've got the 05 hooked up to a 7 cell 1800mAh battery using a Jeti35 controller. The receiver is an Airtronics DC 4channel and the radio is an Airtronics 6ch Vanguard FM. The 05 is coupled with the 2.35:1 gearbox swinging a Master Airscrew 12x8 folder prop.

What is 'PWM'?

As I say, I'm new to all of this so I haven't ever had to look at changing timings although I've read just enough to know that I might have to look into doing it. If you have any good links to instructions, or can take the time to write them here it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	astro05_888.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	9731  
monty_11 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.