need help on air filter - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
need help on air filter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have the OS LA .40 and was wondering what kind of air filter i should get for the carburator. I'm just not sure what to look for and the manual doesn't give any specifications on what i need. A pointer to a greathobbies product info page would be great.

kagey is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Hi Kagey. Is this engine on an airplane?

If so, unless you are flying from a real dusty field, you really don't need an air filter.

Are you flying from grass or asphalt?
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
RCC Noob

this engine is on an aircraft yes. I will be flying from a sandy beach and from grass fields. I just want to protect the engine as much as possible.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Here are the Great Hobbies part numbers:

BRU102 Air Cleaner - Coarse 5.59
BRU104 Replacement Filters Coarse (2) 3.99
BRU202 Air Cleaner - Fine 5.59
BRU204 Replacement Filters Fine

I have this filter on my Unionville Beaver with a 91FS OS in it and it works fine. I don't remember if mine is coarse or fine. It is a little difficult to install because it was a snug fit on the 91 carb but I got it on and it stayed on even during a crash. The filter element comes pre oiled but if you clean it remember to re oil it with airfilter oil from the LHS or from a K&N automotive type filter.

Most of the time you don't need a filter on an airplane engine but I found bits of grass and dirt accumulating in the cowl so I figured it was just a matter of time before some of it got into the engine, better safe than sorry.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
RCC Noob

thanks a lot Ted!
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
I never thought of getting an air filter for my plane but recently I am noticing a lot of debris to the underside of my plane when I take off from the grass rather than the runway. This could be due in part to the dry weather conditions and the field appears to be especially dusty lately.

Considering how little debris it takes to mess up a carb, this may not be a bad idea.

jake_027 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

I am also re considering on getting air fliter for my engines, my field has grass runway and if you dont get right landings and plane catches the grass and flips over then any small amount of dirt can go into carb and cause problems!, i will get one of these on of these days, like Noin said its good to be safe then sorry....
Do sign the petiton. We could Save our Connie CF-TGE, We still have chance, Once gone we will lose our History and Heritage forever....
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.