Does anyone have experience with EMS Shipping? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeffrey T

Total Props: 0
Does anyone have experience with EMS Shipping?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I want to buy a MagpieAP from Mountainmodels in the US and they will ship the package via EMS. I've heard of EMS before, but was never able to find a website about this shipping company. My main concern is whether or not they charge Brokerage like UPS or FedEx.

Has anyone had something shipped from the U.S. through EMS? DO the packages come to your door, or is it arranged through Canada Post?

JeffElecRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Let me know how this turned out for you as I am thinking of ordering something from the US that will be shipped EMS as well and I would like to know what you think after your transaction is complete.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
RT Models
RCC Apprentice

I can give you my personal input on EMS AKA Global Express Mail.

First off, unlike air mail you get a real tracking # you can see when it hits and clears Canada customs.

For an example this package cleared customs on the 5th and this info was pulled directly from the USPS website 5 minutes ago:

Label/Receipt Number: ED57 6926 739U S
Detailed Results:

Out of Foreign Customs, July 05, 2005, 3:04 pm
Into Foreign Customs, July 05, 2005, 12:59 pm, CANADA
Arrived Abroad, July 05, 2005, 12:58 pm, CANADA
International Dispatch, June 30, 2005, 1:39 pm, MIAMI AMC
Enroute, June 30, 2005, 6:36 am, MIAMI, FL 33112
Enroute, June 29, 2005, 4:42 pm, GAINESVILLE, FL 32608
Enroute, June 29, 2005, 2:54 pm, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32229
Acceptance, June 29, 2005, 9:40 am, OCALA, FL 34474

Keep in mind the 4th of July Holiday may have slowed it down a day or so most get to and clear customs in about 3-4 days depending on their work load.

This same package sent Airmail would have spent at least 10 days in transit and would have sat in Canada customs for another 3-5 days

An importaint point to remember is the shipper MUST dot all the "i"s and cross all the T's so to speak and include an invoice on the out side of the package.

The 2976A customs form is very easy to do by the shipper and the actual EMS label get filled out 90% by the Post Office.

Now as far as tax/duty? I can not say what happens but 99% of everything I send up to you guys in under 200.00 USD and have not had any complaints yet.

I use EMS on all my shipments outside the US.....a lot less trouble when you can track the package. Makes everyone feel better

BTW the link for EMS is here
Mark Turner
RT Models
RT Models is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
Hi Jeff

I have used EMS (Global Express Mail). Mark pretty well spells it out for you. Just to clarify, it is through USPS and I usually have the package in my hands in a minimum of 3 days from when the supplier ships. It has also taken around 5 days. Depending where in the States the package is shipped, I have received items at the door by Purolator or I have picked it up at my local postal outlet. When I received it at the door I usually have to send payment of taxes to Purolator. When I pick it up at the postal outlet, I pay them there. Either way there is always a $5.00 handling fee along with GST and PST on the value of the package The best part, no large brokerage fees! It does cost a little more for shipping then priority mail but to me the benefits outweigh that.
I have heard of some people not getting dinged PST if they live in say Manitoba and the point of entry into Canada of the package is Ontario.

Hope this helps

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeffrey T

Great! Thanks alot guys! Very helpful.
JeffElecRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.