Early am is MY time. When is yours. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Early am is MY time. When is yours.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
With three young kids under 5 yrs, 12 hour days at work, and letting da mom get out of the house on her own a few times a week -- there isn't a whole lot of time to myself around here. The only time I have found to fly/build/ or anything is either early morning or in the evening after kids are in bed.

The best time I have "made" for flying is early morning. The sun comes up at 5:30 - guess where I am. My "Dawn's Delight" has really lived up to its namesake. The air is cool and fresh, everything is quiet, a light dew on the grass strip, and the winds are almost always calm or still. A great thing about the early mornings is no kids or wife pulling on my arm todo something else. I also am not racing the sundown like is the case on evening flights.

This morning was a perfect example. Beautiful morning. Pulled up at 5:40. Unloaded and setup my stuff. Sipped the coffee. Tossed the ball a few times for the dog. Then proceeded to get 9 great flights in. Un-rushed and un-interupted exept for the occasional break for my thumbs, another sip of coffee, and another toss for the dog.

Imagine - 9 great flights and back just as the wind is picking up, just as the rest of the house is starting to wake up, with plenty of time to make church, and the entire rest of the day for family stuff.

If you haven't flown early in the morning you obviously do not know what you are missing. Try it. Yes, most will think I am crazy to be heading out that early. But the truth is - that is the best time of the day weatherwise. More importantly - when time is premium - you have to make the time to enjoy the things you want or you will never get to do them. The wife knows. The early mornings are MINE. She don't care -- she thinks I am nuts. Maybe I am. ...

When is your time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cfp0003_1_3_1_130.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	10094  
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Me Too!

Yep. I know all the issues you are talking about. You hit the nail on the head.

Here in the Mojave Desert we have another problem: unbearable heat. It got to 43 degrees C today.

We pretty much have no choice but to fly early in the AM, right at sunrise, just like you mentioned. Its relatively cool, and the calm wind is another bonus. By 0930 its time to pack up and go home for all but the most hardy desert inhabitants, which I am not. (Canadian in California, eh.)

For all these reasons, my (new) favorite flying time is ASAP in the AM-just like yours.

It is beautiful, and like you, I was running my little Kougar (snowbird-clone) around the sky in the early AM (yesterday). I was sipping tea and water instead of coffee, though. It was great.

MAAC# 19744
AMA # 777559
waynek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
I'm in the same boat...3 young children (2, 5 & , a wife and a business. I have some flexibility in my day and I am usually on the road a lot so I bring my plane with me. I try to grab and hour or two at the field during the business day. I come home at 5 or 6 and complain to my wife what a hard day I had

If I want to build a plane or assemble an ARF I usually do it once the kids are in bed. This can lead to late nights but even ARF's need to be assembled at one point.

It is sometimes difficult to justify having a hobby when we are sooo busy with everyday life, however, a hobby such as this warrants the extra effort.

jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor

flying early

flying early is great and all but when you get up at 5:00 am, it screws the whole evening for that day. I agree that the mornings are the nicest and I always seem to get the most stuff done in the mornings however i'm ready for bed by 9:00 that night or maybe earlier, depending on what happened during the day. I find that between 9:00 and midnight is my time to relax. The phone's not ringing, nobody's hollaring and nothing is going on really. I guess i'm not a morning person.
MAAC #50437
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I would love to fly at dawn., but my club prohibits flying before 9:00am. I think it would be wonderful to enjoy the early morning as you described it. Oh well just another reason to dream of my perfect flying location.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Early mornings are fantastic for flying, but I have yet to be out that early this year. Im usually leaving the house for work at 6:15am. And dont forget im a teenager still (1 and sleep in whenever I can! lol. This summer the only day I can sleep in(or fly early) is sunday because I work the rest of the week. Oh well, have to pay for college some how. Flying is kind of on the back burner for me at the moment.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor

Waaaay too early!!! None of the clubs I fly at will let any engines fire before 10 AM....

The evening is great for flying, when the heat of the day has past, the wind is dying down, and there is still daylight til 1030 or so. And it is a good chance to meet with the guys who drop by after dinner...the social aspect is half the fun...If I can get 3 good flights in, I am more than happy........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Oh yeh! Love that early morning cool, calm air. The only fly in the ointment is getting my butt out of the sack early enogh to make it worth while. (I am supposed to be in the office by nine.)
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
RCC Apprentice

unfortunately I think the neighbours would kill me! They may be planning your demise as we speak(type) It's amazing how far the noise carries. I do agree though, it would be an awsome time to do it if you can get away with it. I've got 3 bambinos too and i think i'm hanging up the wings for a few years.
chiroman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor

Hanging up the wings

Hey Mike

What's going on have not seen you around lately.

Sure hope you don't give up the flying..

Marvin MacLeod
MAAC 73273

I fly this way so you will have something to talk about
peiviper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.