Engine Guru's Help- Os Grauperner wankel 30 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Engine Guru's Help- Os Grauperner wankel 30

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a wankel 30 made by OS and Graupner. It is more than 25 years since it last ran. I put in new OS wankel plug and it woould only start as long as the electric starter was turning. When the engine started I would remove the starter and the engine would immediatley stop running. It seems to have little to no compression. I'm not sure if it should have alot or alittle. I tried both 5 and 15% nitro caster based fuels and a 10-6 APC prop. I took the plane home removed the engine and stripped it down. Alot of dirt in it but nothing corroded or seized. Bearings seem to be in good shape. I' going to put it in anitfreeeze and crock pot to clean it up and have it look more eye appealing.
What should I be looking for and any other tips would be great. If I get to a dead end would there be anyone out there willing to take a look at it for me. I have contemplated sending it to hobby services to have them look at it but thats my last resort.It reatials new at GH for $449.00 so I don't want to just shelf it.
Thank you for any and all advice andf pearls of wisedom.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I used to have one of these. No, they don't feel like they have much compression... they are quite different.

Are you sure it was getting enough fuel?
I think mine needed an idle bar plug....

I'm no engine guru but, hope this helps...
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Hello; I seem to remember that the early Wankles had quite a problem with their apex seals wearing prematurely. I believe that they came out with improved apex seals ina bout 93, and I think they were retro-fittable. We have a few around here, not many, not very popular.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
RCC Contributor

What you might check is that the Apex seals are not stuck in the compressed state. Dried castor oil "will cause the seals that are compressed against the combustion chamber walls" to remain in that condition. This will not allow them to seal properly for the combustion cycle. The springs for the apex seals are "leaf" style and aren't strong enough to resist dried oil.
There is no such thing as a landing, it's a controlled crash.
Jim West MAAC 22948
kersplat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Following the comments I would only give this advise to start. While torn down I would order a complete set of seals (upgraded) to eliminate any leakage. Also the advise on the idle bar plug is also good as they did not have the newer plugs in those days. If my memory serves me right OS/Graupner came out in the early 70's with them in partnership with NSU(patent) and the seals where the problem. I couldn't afford one then or now but in Germany I can remember a lot of the German flyers bought them for scale.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Thank you all for your advise. I ordered a set of springs and apex wipers for this engine from 2 different places and both are back ordered till the end of time. Thats Ok as I have another egine to put on in its place although it's not a wankel. A couple of you stated that I should use an idle bar plug. Is this better than the OS specific plug that was made for it. And is there a better idle bar plug than the fox and K+B.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.