ARC Direct Extra 330L Finished and Test flown! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
ARC Direct Extra 330L Finished and Test flown!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well after a lot of hours I finally got it finished and flying. There were a few issues with the plane as it came from the factory but I have worked through all of them with the end results being quite satisfactory! Once I work through all the setups, it should be an excellent flying airplane!

The first couple of flights were very nerve racking as I had difficulty keeping the plane tracking true. After consulting with some friends at our IMAC contest (Flying Tigers) I was told that there should be right thrust in the engine and standing back and looking at it you could actually see some up thrust! The engine mount box was installed at the factory and made specifically for a DA50 even predrilled so the engine could bolt right on but there was NO thrust built into the box. I used washers behind the standoffs to correct this! On the next few flights the plane tracks much better!

Its a must to keep a bit of power on when bring it in for a landing Its advertised weight is 14 to 16 lbs but this one came out at around 18 lbs with a DA50 engine! I have only used a standard setup of electronics with a single servo pull pull system, but did add a second battery pack for redundancy!

Instead of making it with removable stabs, I decided to glue it on permanently as its not really an issue in the transportation of this plane and it will be easier than disconnecting everything each time I take it out to the field and reconnecting to go flying!

I was out this evening (Friday) and got a couple of flights in with it. Of course my nerves were on edge as always with a new plane. It flew not too bad but I had way too much throws dialed in and no Expo setup which made it quite twitchie as you might expect. The engine is brand new too so it will take a few flights to get it loosened up and on it way to being broken in! With a few trim adjustments, the plane flew very well dispite the pilot! LOL!

One really nice thing about this plane, is the engine. Man, you gotta love a DA50. What a beautiful running and powerful engine. If it can fly an 18 lb airplane with this much authority, I would love to put it into a really light plane to see how she will handle. Up until tonight the engine only had a half dozen runs on it. I turned the prop over twice, ignition on, choke on, one flip and she barked! Choke off, three flips and she started right up. I can only imagine the power this engine will have once it gets broken in!!!

Ok, the next few flights were great. I added expo on rudder, elevators and ailerons and man what a difference. Tracking is much more true and the plane flys straight and level, hands off at about 1/3 throttle. Pull back on the elevator, add throttle and she climbs straight up with NO falling off at all so vertical is absolutely unlimited with the DA50.

Heres a couple of pictures of the almost finished plane! I have since finished painting and trimming the cowel so it looks better in that regard. Its actually a nice sized plane for transporting as it just fits in the rear of the Pontiac SunFire with the seats fully forward and the back seat folded forward. I have to take the landing gear off though to get it to fit!

Well thats the story of the ARC DIRECT Extra 330L in a nutshell! I'm off to the field tomorrow for the morning.....happy flying!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extra_330l__09_143.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	10220   Click image for larger version

Name:	extra_330l_002_192.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	10221  
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.