Buying First Plane Tomorrow!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Buying First Plane Tomorrow!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all I have decided to dive into the world of RC Planes. I have been doing alot of reading over the last couple weeks. Reading various reviews and watching flight videos. I'm looking at a couple trainers, I'm leaning more towards the NexStar Select RTF Trainer from Hobbico. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Enisada is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Be sure to join your local club and get your MAAC. Find out if they have a student night and do your best to go out regularly as it takes constant practice to get your wings.

My trainer (and others I have helped) have been the Sig Kadet (they have different versions of the Kadet). Great plane. I recommend it. Get a quality engine for it to as I have worked with one that had a cheaper engine in it and it was surprising how much less power it had for the same displacement as a better quality engine. Night and Day when taking off and wanting to do some basic aerobatics like a loop.

Keep your dog (if you have one) away from the prop! Mine insisted on sticking his nose in it (while my plane sat idling) even with me yelling at him and WHAM! A little piece was sliced off and the stupid #$%@ went to do it again! It was a very minor wound (my wife wasn't impressed with me).

Have fun and post pic's!
Adam Woodhouse
MAAC# 27503
Lord Kimbo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
R Plante
RCC Contributor
I am: Randy P

Total Props: 2
the kadet is a great trainer and the Nexstar is also I have trained people on both . With the Nexstar it is ready to fly in 20 min plus charge time and has a simulater include we have tried the flight stabilization system and reccomend leaving it unplugged also DO NOT install the flap type units that screw under the wing it makes the plane very slow to respond.

On the down side the radio is very basic which I think makes it a little less useful down the road. But the engine is definatly a keeper.

the kadet lt40 with a good 46 and a 6 channel radio possibly computer if you are sure you are going to stay in the hobby is also a great combo.

the Kadet seems to be easier to repair in case you crash and seems to me to be a little mopre robust.

Again this your dollars involved so consder the options and also try to get an instructor for a better chance of success.
R Plante is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
RCC Noob

I will have to look into the kadet lt40 hopefully they will have one where I am going. I know it is better to buy quality parts at the beginning so you can re-use the radio and the engine for later planes that some how get into your fleet. It looks like I may have to stay in this I want a jet one day.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Steve Sanderson
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve S

first plane

I learned on the nexstar and would recomend it to anyone one. Contary to what people have said on this site in the past I used all the include features ie stablizers speed brakes etc. and it did not harm me in moving up. But there is also a new plane with alot of the fetures the nexstar has, But is a mustang and a six channel radio with it . this new plane is from Hanger nine and is on the Horizon Hobbies web site.

In closing the nexstar was a great plane to learn on and my brother is using it to learn now.. The two guys that I fly with were very impressed with the nexstar and both said that they wished that they would have had it to learn on

Just my opion
Thanks Steve
Steve Sanderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
RCC Noob

Would that be a good trainer plane then. It looks like you could put a 1.00 4 stroke engine it which would be sweet. And retractable gear would be cool. Unless I'm looking at the wrong one.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

The Nextstar is a good choice. We remove the speed brakes and auto pilot for students to give them a standard learning experience. Not looking for a debate, just a comment.

There is also a warranty with the plane when flown with an instructor that Hobbico has honored. I've always like the Hobbico Avistar as it's a good semi-symetrical wing foil and can have throws increased to make a slightly wilder plane when you are ready for it.

For learning, find an instructor and stick with a high wing trainer plane so you can learn easier and enjoy the hobby even faster. Again just an opinion.

And remember to have some fun

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

We also use the Nexstar and the Kadet here for training. We also removed the speed bars on the wing and unplugged the AFS unit.
The simulator software was beneficial to the student and learn time was fast, but we agree that the radio was of low end quality for stepping up
to the next plane.
cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
RCC Noob

Alright well I didn't end up getting the NexStar Combo Kit. The low quality remote and older engine really through me off. So I went ahead and got a....

Sig Kadet LT-40 ARF
Eclipse 7 QPCM Radio
Thunder Tiger Pro-46 (2-Stroke Engine)
Hanger 9 PowerPro Starter
VoltWatch Battery Monitor
Some CA
Little bit of Epoxy
Couple Blades
Couple Glow Plugs
Fuel (10% Sport, Syn 75%, CAS 25% Oil Conent 20%)
And a fillin Station

Thats about it. Please give me your thoughts on what I bought and any suggestions about anything I should need to know.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #10
alpha flanker
RCC Apprentice

Hi there .I would reccomend the hanger 9 alpha.It is cheap,flys real good and a trouble free evalution engine.It is what i started out learning on this spring and so far no crashes,but sure 1 is coming.Mine came with the sim,which I spent a lot of time on in winter,,made a big differance in learning this spring.Nexstar is also a nice plane, built tough,heavier though!I just like the alpha for its value anda trainer is what it is,learning us for bigger better things ,so I didnt wanna spend any more to get going than I had to! Ur choice,good Luck!!!!
At least in rc flying ,we live to fly another day if we crash!
alpha flanker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.