Scratch built float plane problems - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #21
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Could be my imagination but the negative angle of the wing compared to the motor looks like an awfull lot of up thrust.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #22
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Oh, yeah...

Downthrust relative to the wing required, longer front struts required so that the wing is at a better angle to the floats, a bit of dihedral will help a lot, even more wing area.

As far as step position is concerned, I am an old freeflighter and spent a lot of time setting up waterborne models: in order to get a model tracking straight (no radio, remember), the step had to be ahead of the c/g, so that the step and the back of the float/fuselage were in the water at takeoff, and with those two surfaces touching, the wing was at a positive incidence. Of course, dihedral was mandatory for flight trim, as was wing area; we built a "racer" with minimal area and lots of power, and trimming was literally impossible. A radio helps, but if the basic design is flawed the best radio in the world ain't gonna help.

Again, I suggest getting the model to fly from handlaunch before any water trials take place, and use the water for "landings" as it is softer than turf...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
The airplane is a float plane - its supposed to take off from water as well as land so thats the way it is going to fly I dont like handlaunching anyway, if something isnt right and you throw the plane youre screwed. If you taxi and try to take off and something isnt right it isnt as big of a deal. I found out the hard way on that - tried to hand launch my friend's electric Zero and it rolled to the right and went strait into the ground . There wasnt too much damage, but enough to put us out of buisness for the day

Well, I strapped the wing on today. I took a good look at it and it appears that the wing has warped. It is now swept back a few degrees (not a big deal) and as the distance from the fuselage increases the more the wing is twisted downward. I think that happened because of a lack of support near the fuselage, the balsa sheet on the top of the wing got pressed down by the rubber bands and pulled the ribs in closer to eachother. I added some spacers in the front of the wing where it attaches to the fuselage and corrected the problem with the wing pointing down. Now the plane doesnt have much trouble getting up to speed. It panes OK, the back of the floats seem like they are in the water just a TAD - mainly when I give it some up elevator. I taxied it around for a while today and it seems like it handles ok. It was a bit breezy so it was hard to control in that respect, so tomorrow I will give it a better run if it isnt as windy and see if I can get it to fly alright

I bought some Norvel 25% nitro fuel today for the engine and it seems to run pretty well, I havent noticed a difference in the top RPM's but on the low end when it is idling it runs REALLY smoothe Its actually hard to shut the engine off now. When I try the plane tomorrow (or, IF I do) Ill try and pay attention and see if I am getting more power.

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #24
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Somewhat successful flight (didnt turn into a submarine)

Well I got the airplane out for a little bit today. Now that the wing is level with the fuselage the airplane handles a LOT better in the air!! I got it off the water about 5 feet and was able to control it. I set it back down in the water pretty quick because I was at the pond right next to the house here - didnt have much water left and too many trees and houses to make another approach.

It is still hard to control on the water (but I think that was because of the waves and the breeze, not very strong though). I moved the floats back a 1/2 inch so that the step was a little behind the CG. That seemed like it did the trick on the plane getting off the water, but the back of the floats still are in the water. Should I move the floats back a nother 1/2 inch??? I guess it wouldnt hurt to experiment. Thats what this whole project has been from day 1.

I did use all of my flaps to get it off the water though. It seems like it is up to speed but it doesnt want to get out of the water without them. I guess that might mean it isnt up to speed, but it sure is zipping along pretty good. It is planing perfict - the floats are barely in the water at all, but the step and the back are in the water at the same time.

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.